Double pulley trouble

Mark Bolam

I recently got hold of a ISC double pulley to use as a redirect.

When I set it up, however, my rope is just too big for it, and it sticks like mad.

It's XTC 'Fire' 13mm, and it is quite old and 'fuzzy'.

Anyone else experienced this? Is it time to buy a new rope? Also have 11mm Blaze, but don't really get on with it and keep returning to my trusty 13mm.

Have found all this 11mm stuff to be a bit of a false dawn, TBH.

It hockles like crazy, is murder on your hands and forearms, and lets face it, if rope weight is an issue with 13mm its probably time to go to the gym!

When I set it up, however, my rope is just too big for it, and it sticks like mad.

Anyone else experienced this? Is it time to buy a new rope? Also have 11mm Blaze, but don't really get on with it and keep returning to my trusty 13mm.

It hockles like crazy, is murder on your hands and forearms, and lets face it, if rope weight is an issue with 13mm its probably time to go to the gym!

i used to use a double pully and never really had any problems with it, usethis sort of thing now

HB Redirect System

re the 11 mm rope, been using some arbormaster that got respliced recently and definately seems better on the elbows, climbed on my tachyon today and back to achey elbows

Is it the 030 or 033 double pulley you have got mate? the first is designed for 10-12 mm ropes the second for 13mm max.

XTC does fluff up quite a bit. Arbormaster is a more reliable 13mm IMO. I use it in the double pulley re de thing and its ok, you'd mostly only be on it for a short while.

Arbclimber makes a good point about the two models, but I think he means 033 and 031 ( Ican't see a 003 on the ISC website?) . The 033 has a sheave between the pulleys so its a bit fiddly. The 031 has the two pulleys together and the spec sheet says <12mm, so XTC is pushing it a bit anyway.

XTC does fluff up quite a bit. Arbormaster is a more reliable 13mm IMO. I use it in the double pulley re de thing and its ok, you'd mostly only be on it for a short while.

Arbclimber makes a good point about the two models, but I think he means 033 and 031 ( Ican't see a 003 on the ISC website?) . The 033 has a sheave between the pulleys so its a bit fiddly. The 031 has the two pulleys together and the spec sheet says <12mm, so XTC is pushing it a bit anyway.

Rupe, you could be right mate. not 100% sure on the model numbers.

anyway my point is one is mean't for 13mm and one isn't so check which model you have.

Upon re-examination, I have discovered a clue on the pulley itself.

Clearly embossed upon it in a strange, mythical language is -

(Diameter sign) 12mm

That's that little mystery sorted, then. Get your wallet ready Mr. Stockbridge...