Towing restrictions

John Hancock

Its all total rubbish pre 97 drivers can drive 7.5 tonnes im pretty sure driving standards are 100 times more difficult now than pre 97 so todays drivers have to be far superior to pre 97. Its all just to earn money for nothing.

The younger guys today start far ahead of the old guys every test in every field is harder longer and costs more.

But training guys up is all a tax loss so what would you rather loose your money to.

does this also mean that those guys with chainsaw tickets are far ahead of those that don't?:icon14:

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 8 months later...

Just for a heads up, has anyone here sat the B+E recently and could spend a couple of mins writing down some of the points on the test. I have been towing since i was 17 and am now 29 and never really had the licence to tow larger trailers and i refuse to pay someone to teach me to suck eggs, what do i have to pretend to do to keep the fatman in the assessment seat happy on my test? There is bound to be some silly order to uncouple etc etc.

Any help would be good!

Just for a heads up, has anyone here sat the B+E recently and could spend a couple of mins writing down some of the points on the test. I have been towing since i was 17 and am now 29 and never really had the licence to tow larger trailers and i refuse to pay someone to teach me to suck eggs, what do i have to pretend to do to keep the fatman in the assessment seat happy on my test? There is bound to be some silly order to uncouple etc etc.

Any help would be good!

touched on the B+E when doing my rigid test.

dont, whatever you do, clip, mount or scrub a kerb

youre gonna have to reverse the arse end of the trailer into a 1m hatched area

other than that (aslong as your vehicle+trailer neets requirements) its piss easy apparantly

theocus....like you said theres a certain routine that they teach you.you have to back up to the trailer( which has to be a horsebox) get out have a look,see how close you are.back up again try to get it right on the ball.hand brake up.hitch it up,attach cables.then you have to walk around the trailer to check all the lights etc and all the body work is sound,number plate is the same as towing vehicle.handbrake off and drive away. theres alot of bullshit to go wit it aswell.......its exactly the same as a driving test wit feeding the hands, looking in the mirrors constantly.i found the reverse is quite easy,bit of a slalom course round a cone and back it up into a hatched area.

hi just sat my B*E at norwich hgv testing centre firstly they ask you about five qustions about loading the trailer and the vehicle then you do a reversing manover then a emergecency stop then i had 45 mins driving around the city centre then back to the testing station where you have to unhitch drive forward then reverse up to it at a certian distance then hitch up in a certain order then do all your trailer checks bit i failed on one serious which was indicating to late

it wasnt so bad for me,was only driving for a year when i did my trailer.....still had all the stuff rolling round in my head.....hadnt formed any really bad habits yet......if anybody in my neck of the woods is thinking of doing it would recommend heads of valleys training,nice blokes all round

its piss easy apparantly

No offence but don't take that attitude to the test. You have to drive to the standard required to pass any other test driving test. Keep a cool head, and drive well on the road and yep the manouvers are simple again reversing is ok be wary of the un/recouple.

When asked to recouople treat the trailer as one you have never used before carry out a visual inspection and make sure you check the trailer hand brake is ON! before reversing up to it.

I know 5 people that have failed,

1) hit the trailer hard on the recouple (major fault)

2) failed on lack of mirrors and indications

1) failed kerb clipping

1) failed for falling short of the hatched area on reversing area