Whats the daftest thing you have seen loler'd

Charlieh

so do you need to be shown how to use the hand rail to get into a tractor, should you not be using the hand rail if you cant lift your own weight, or if your tired (weather you should be operating the tractor tired is completely different regs)

or is it best just to live in the real world and ignore the quirks of the system? i mean a climber falling because of a rope failing is one thing, but slipping off a set of tractor steps?

when i done my tractor ticket 5-6 years ago, we were taught how to enter the cab in the correct mannor by using the steps and rails, doing it incorrectly was a fail :001_smile:

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats why I think its all a bit pointless tbh.:thumbup1:

Detracts from the checking the gear you use yourself. "Its someone else's problem to check it"

We should be competent enough to check the equipment we use every day ie PPE.

I think you are missing the point of LOLER a bit.

LOLER doesn’t make it someone else’s problem to inspect your kit, it makes provision for and formalises the inspection interval and recording. YOU are still responsible fro checking your own kit pre use sand weekly.

What LOLER does is provide the employer with the opportunity to get a second opinion on their kit and for the less scrupulous it will either keep them honest or provide a vehicle for the HSE to prosecute.

As Dean says, we are all checking and replacing our kit anyhow, what’s wrong with formalising it? The worst that can happen is that employees of the less conscientious get safe kit to use.

I think you are missing the point of LOLER a bit.

LOLER doesn’t make it someone else’s problem to inspect your kit, it makes provision for and formalises the inspection interval and recording. YOU are still responsible fro checking your own kit pre use sand weekly.

What LOLER does is provide the employer with the opportunity to get a second opinion on their kit and for the less scrupulous it will either keep them honest or provide a vehicle for the HSE to prosecute.

As Dean says, we are all checking and replacing our kit anyhow, what’s wrong with formalising it? The worst that can happen is that employees of the less conscientious get safe kit to use.

I just dont agree with it because its another paper work/expense that I really dont think is necessary tbh. Poor employers wont adhere to it anyway and they will only get investigated after an accident which is far too late.

Besides how many people do you know of that have had an accident because there climbing/rigging failed due to not being inspected thoroughly? I know of none.

Plus allegedly if we fail to get a LOLER inspection and there is an accident even if its nothing to do with said inspection of equipment then our insurance companies will pursue us to the death in claiming back there payout.

All out kit is inspected by us every week and on a daily/usage basis you cant get better than that tbh.

I'm just waiting until we have to get a ticket every 6/12 months for our power tools/large equipment, that should be a right laugh!:001_smile:

Obviously only what I think and I'm sure that most disagree with me but well, LOLER is not going to go away and only get worse ie the title of the thread so its probably best that I just have a moan about it rather than do anything tbh.:laugh1:

why? they are not PPE or primary equipment, just aids:001_huh:

yep

but if they were faulty or lets say megga blunt and you slipped there is a chance you could be hurt and fall further than ideal would you not agree

dont think its hard to give them the once over and advise on length and condition

Don’t forget that the scope of LOLER is the entire EU and that the bit that tickles the edges of arboriculture in the UK is but a miniscule part of the whole.

Besides how many people do you know of that have had an accident because there climbing/rigging failed due to not being inspected thoroughly? I know of none

Neither do I but I don’t claim to have access to the statistics to assess that and our anecdotal observations arent enough to say it did or didn’t happen.

Once again you need to look beyond out little world and see LOLER as the pan European thing it is. It applies equally to a jobbing climber in the UK, and every other lifting operation throughout the UK and the EU

Plus allegedly if we fail to get a LOLER inspection and there is an accident even if its nothing to do with said inspection of equipment then our insurance companies will pursue us to the death in claiming back there payout.

Utter tosh of the worst kind. I think you need to have a think about that one. If your car didn’t have an MOT could your house contents deny you a claim for a burst pipe? That threads claims were never substantiated with any proof despite requests. If the accident is LOLER related and your LOLER isn’t up to scratch they have wriggle room.

All out kit is inspected by us every week and on a daily/usage basis you cant get better than that tbh.

Regarding the paperwork, if you weren’t recording your safety inspections, for your own benefit you should be. It can be done by tick box and takes moments to do. Proving an audit trail will often keep you out of trouble regarding the condition of the kit.

I'm just waiting until we have to get a ticket every 6/12 months for our power tools/large equipment, that should be a right laugh!

I have been on plenty of sites where the safety officer has asked for machinery inspection records. Not a legal requirement but some won’t let you on site without them

Neither do I but I don’t claim to have access to the statistics to assess that and our anecdotal observations arent enough to say it did or didn’t happen.

I know but if anyone out there does please let us know :thumbup1:

Once again you need to look beyond out little world and see LOLER as the pan European thing it is. It applies equally to a jobbing climber in the UK, and every other lifting operation throughout the UK and the EU

I agree doesnt mean its right though or worthwhile imo.

Utter tosh of the worst kind. I think you need to have a think about that one. If your car didn’t have an MOT could your house contents deny you a claim for a burst pipe? That threads claims were never substantiated with any proof despite requests. If the accident is LOLER related and your LOLER isn’t up to scratch they have wriggle room.

I didnt make that up (apparently its true!) a LOLER inspector did in another thread I'm just passing the info on :001_smile:

Regarding the paperwork, if you weren’t recording your safety inspections, for your own benefit you should be. It can be done by tick box and takes moments to do. Proving an audit trail will often keep you out of trouble regarding the condition of the kit.

We do that weekly with a quick tick box sheet.

I have been on plenty of sites where the safety officer has asked for machinery inspection records. Not a legal requirement but some won’t let you on site without them

Same here hence why we also do the weekly tick box check for the machinery(or fill it in on request:blushing:)