Arborist are we skilled or semi skilled

BTS

Tree surgery in and of itself is, as mentioned previously, a man hanging on a bit of string using a saw to cut bits off a tree. A highly skilled, trained arborist brings together many skills, one of which is tree surgery. He has to have a knowledge of tree physiology and structure, safe climbing techniques, ecology, (see Environmental Policy), aerial rescue, first aid, safe use of a chainsaw whilst suspended from a rope and harness, lowering techniques, his own health and safety, his teams' health and safety, correct pruning techniques, (see BS3998:1989), his own physiology, work in a 3d environment at anything from 2-40m above the ground, manage to not damage anything whilst carrying an extra 15kgs of PPE, saw, harness, ropes and karabiners around the canopy of a tree in all weathers for several hours. At the end of his endeavours he may have to face the prospect of an unhappy client who would like another metre off a particular branch. He also has to carry out these works within a given time frame and he'll have to replicate his heroic feats of derring do five days a week. Hence, even when qualified most people are incapable of delivering consistent high quality work in the commercial arena.

As far as pay goes, as director of my company, half my staff are paid more than or the same as me. If we can earn more from the clients the guys get better pay, training and kit to play with.

Wow, highly emotive subject, IMO we are highly skilled, moving from a small pruning job to a big dismantle requires high degrees of skill, maybe it would be easier to justify if we all had some form of arb qualification but that implies those with tickets alone aren't so skilled and that's def not the case.

The rules are set by guys in stuffy offices pushing paper all day, how on earth can they have any clue, apparently estate agents are classified as a professional occupation and yet you can set up shop with no training at all-says it all i'm afraid:banghead:

I like the idea of some form of corgi style registration as proposed by hama, but how do we get the public to realise that nobody else should/could do work on their trees, it requires a massive publicity campaign by the governing body .

jon i think you have taken Deans post the wrong way and it has obviously hit a nerve with you, which is very easy done. this little roll your eyes can only mean 1 thing to most, but we only have 15 of the little guys to choose from with out looking through hundreds in the MORE section, so we pick the face that is the closest to what we are wanting to get across. I get what Dean means and it certainly isnt making fun of anyone.

I've read it and I've read it but it still comes out the same to me because I know how I meant it, the second line is meant to be sarcastic (5-8 years and you get to put 2 or 3 letters after your name.

I can see if read quickly though it could have come across wrong, especailly with that smiley, so I am more than willing to back down and apologise if it was taken wrongly ?

Jon, ignoring my posts is not in the spirit of Arbtalk mate, it's a forum for like minded individuals to share information for the better of the industry, so if I have somehow offended you please accept my apologies and lets start over :001_smile:

I was in Wetherby today, I could've called for a brew :001_rolleyes:

Back to the subject:

Using the letters after your name can be seen as a bit anal to some for the simple reason that degrees and diplomas are simply another educational marker simply saying you have done the study and passed, otherwise I could have Dean lofthouse GCSE

Our lass spent 8 years obtaining her degree and never uses the letters after her name because it would be anal, she is a nurse. I dont think degrees now have wow factor as much as they did because every man and his dog are getting them and they are now making it so people who are struggling can get 2 or 3 bites at the cherry on certain modules and with pass marks as low as 50 and 60 % its hardly awe inspiring.

With reference to putting the letters after your name:

If you are advertising it is perfect such as on business cards, yellow pages or sign writing, you want your prospective clients to know you have spent time and effort studying your chosen subject or advertised service, it's only like our lass taking her CV to a job interview listing her qualifications, each client being a new job in our case.

I got a cheque the other day off a Dr ###### I said to him, oh I didnt know you were a doctor ?

Turns out he had a doctorate in science, he wasn't even in a job with called for a science doctorate, so why have it written on your cheques :confused1:

If you have the quals flaunt them in your advertising

Edited by Dean Lofthouse

I've read it and I've read it but it still comes out the same to me because I know how I meant it, the second line is meant to be sarcastic (5-8 years and you get to put 2 or 3 letters after your name.

I can see if read quickly though it could have come across wrong, especailly with that smiley, so I am more than willing to back down and apologise if it was taken wrongly ?

Jon, ignoring my posts is not in the spirit of Arbtalk mate, it's a forum for like minded individuals to share information for the better of the industry, so if I have somehow offended you please accept my apologies and lets start over :001_smile:

I was in Wetherby today, I could've called for a brew :001_rolleyes:

Back to the subject:

Using the letters after your name can be seen as a bit anal to some for the simple reason that degrees and diplomas are simply another educational marker simply saying you have done the study and passed, otherwise I could have Dean lofthouse GCSE

Our lass spent 8 years obtaining her degree and never uses the letters after her name because it would be anal, she is a nurse. I dont think degrees now have wow factor as much as they did because every man and his dog are getting them and they are now making it so people who are struggling can get 2 or 3 bites at the cherry on certain modules and with pass marks as low as 50 and 60 % its hardly awe inspiring.

With reference to putting the letters after your name:

If you are advertising it is perfect such as on business cards, yellow pages or sign writing, you want your prospective clients to know you have spent time and effort studying your chosen subject or advertised service, it's only like our lass taking her CV to a job interview listing her qualifications, each client being a new job in our case.

I got a cheque the other day off a Dr ###### I said to him, oh I didnt know you were a doctor ?

Turns out he had a doctorate in science, he wasn't even in a job with called for a science doctorate, so why have it written on your cheques :confused1:

If you have the quals flaunt them in your advertising

I agree with a lot of what you are saying Dean, I do think the respect you get very much depends on the degree though. There are an awful lot of Mickey mouse degrees around now.

I dont think the degree only proves you have made the effort to study though, it also proves you are capable of thinking to a certain level. There are an awful lot of people who could never get a decent degree no matter how hard they tried. Again, very much depending on the degree.

I dont care if people have letters after their name or not, but they have earned the right to put them there if they've done the study time. Many of my clients have very high power positions, and as such have letters before and after their names, but they dont look down their nose at me cos I havent.

Its the lesser "ranking" quals that I dont feel should be tacked onto your name ie John Doe, Tech cert., or John Doe NPTC, but if you're a Dr of Economics, Philosophy, or a Professor, then that deserves the necessary respect. A well-decorated retired Brigadier once said to me, "Please call me by my name, 'Brigadier' sounds so bloody pompous"!!

As has been said before, I think we are at best a semi-skilled tradesman, and that takes nothing away from the skillful job many of us do, but in the grand scheme of things, we are semi-skilled.

I dont care if people have letters after their name or not, but they have earned the right to put them there if they've done the study time. Many of my clients have very high power positions, and as such have letters before and after their names, but they dont look down their nose at me cos I havent.

Its the lesser "ranking" quals that I dont feel should be tacked onto your name ie John Doe, Tech cert., or John Doe NPTC, but if you're a Dr of Economics, Philosophy, or a Professor, then that deserves the necessary respect. A well-decorated retired Brigadier once said to me, "Please call me by my name, 'Brigadier' sounds so bloody pompous"!!

As has been said before, I think we are at best a semi-skilled tradesman, and that takes nothing away from the skillful job many of us do, but in the grand scheme of things, we are semi-skilled.

You would look pretty daft putting letters after your name from a cert level qualification. Low level qualifications have never been intended to give letters after your name, Its really only acceptable after degree level quals and after being awarded status from certain Chartered institutes.

You would look pretty daft putting letters after your name from a cert level qualification. Low level qualifications have never been intended to give letters after your name, Its really only acceptable after degree level quals and after being awarded status from certain Chartered institutes.

Believe me, sitting here I can think of 3 who use NPTC or Tech Cert after their names, and thats without checking any others:lol: