Arborist are we skilled or semi skilled

BTS

Just for the record, this has been playing on my mind.

When I fell out with Rupe over the right / wrong thing in this thread, I wasn't happy at all with the way I conducted myself, and thought I looked a bit of a dick, as hamma pointed out. Was too busy to write an explanation at the time.

I read the above question as seeking advice on the official meaning of semi skilled verses skilled, from a local authority pay point of view. I gave my example of how they classed me in this respect when I was a welder in order to try to help out.

When I accused Rupe of being wrong, I didn't think that personal opinions were being asked for and that some kind of official definition was being requested.

So - it seems that personal opinions are being requested , so belated apology Rupe.

My post wasn't my personal opinion; it was my experience in another industry. My personal opinion is that it doesn't matter whether we are called skilled or unskilled; I'm too long in the tooth to really care.

I do care about the industry and my work, just don't care what people think. Rupe put this very well somewhere, so whatever he said on this is what I think too.

Thanks for saying that. I wasn't offended by anything you said, but still its good of you to post this. Cheers!

Thanks mate, glad you understood my post. I did mean it as genuine advice for Hama. I cant imagine him happier than in some far flung destination doing his bit surrounded by trees and fungi. Think doing something worthwhile and appreciated might be just what he's looking for. And I too hope he gets it.:thumbup1:

For the record having just read back over the last 10 pages or so.....

Firstly, I guess I gave the wrong impression about the type of recognition desired, i dont need nor want "approval" of anyone. Why would I, after all I have the mutual respect of men I hold in high regard. My clients appreciate the depth and breadth of the knowledge and advice I give them. My father is a very proud man, though it took me many years to make him so! he was a tough nut to crack, a rather dissaproving, condescending git! like HIS father.

With regards to my "personal journey" having been through the mangle on every level amd scale of magnitude i have done time (a LOT of time) in self reflective mode and evaluation, done 2 years with a VERY good Phycotherapist (yes I am quite barmy, I know and its O.K to say so:laugh1:) I can assure all that showed concern there is NIL anyone can teach me with regards to personal development and a sense of self!

I DO take offence when somone eludes to my proffesion as being anything short of multi and highley skilled, for a "true arb" is somone with MANY fine skills, abilities and knowledge bases. Trees are at the core of many proscesses in nature, and provide complex human conflict issues, knowledge acrros a VERY broad spectrum of SKILLS is required to do this work to any degree of quality, Yes some gardener type can do a semi decent job too, but that in itself tells us, that HE is SEMI SKILLED, and we are skilled.

To add insult to injury this notion has been brought to bear by folk within my industry and I am incensed and stunned by the lack of self worth in all of those that say they lack skill and also, they would not defend thier industry for what it is worth.

This forum is becoming a behemoth of a monster, now when i search on fungal issues online i get linked to my threads in here! this is a public forum, linked through searches people will do, and now when they search and find this, they will become of the opinion that this is unskilled labour and that there is no justification in paying over the odds.

defeating EVERYTHING we apsire to

CONGRATULATIONS

so true tony, becasue everything on the net is 100% accurate:001_rolleyes:

once again you are bothered what others will think, you say you arent at the start of your post then contradict yourself at the end.:laugh1:

That is a rather shallow way of looking and view of my post, i think it sad that YOU dont care what other people think of our industry.

I am not concerned with peoples view on me, but my proffesion, well it is all our responsabilities to reflect what we think of OURSELVES.

if you dont care, why think about AAAC status?:001_huh: