climbing near powerlines

Ben Ballard

oh here we go.

Look at the end of the day the line cutters are pretty bad and i would say if you can work a green house,gas tank,fish pond,conservatory then a line is equal hazard.if you dont like it and cant get it then tell to turn it off the day your there as there line is in the way..

you can cut it just be good.why not its no more dangerous than someones glass porch....

:confused1:You can be electrocuted by a glass porch!!!!!!!!:confused1:

I had no idea!!!!!!:001_huh:

I watch out for those in future!!!!!!!!!!!! :sneaky2:

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No offence guys but i keep reading some pretty bad info on here. Tidy trees mentions this 1m minimum distance. that is not a minimum distance, that is what is known as the live zone i.e a 1m circle around (11kv it is lower on Lv) the cable which is classed as live. following this circle is another ring which extends to 2m on HV (1m on LV) known as the vicinity zone. The idea is that if you are in the live zone it should be a shutdown or use rods to remove the infringing parts of the tree, the only safe minimum working distance is that whatever you are cutting cannot breach the vicinity zone. the vicinity zones are as follows:-

LV - 1m

11KV(HV) - 2m

33KV - 2.5m

66KV - 3m

132KV - 3.5m

275KV - 4m

400KV - 5m

anything above the conductors should also be classed as shutdown as if it were dropped could breach the live zone. Leave powerline stuff to the proffessionals.

cutter, you are a clever carefull guy, the fact that you are concerned makes your decision easy. why play guessing games, go straight to the horses mouth and ask the power company. They will tell you straight, and even then i would want a meeting with one of them to confirm. Electricity is very dangerous and unpredictable as you know, personal opinion is ok for pruning a conifer in early spring, as the consequences arent life threatening to yourself or any body else. You know what you need to do mate.:thumbup1:

.........wot ever....

Well I was going to keep out of this, but you mate are an accident waiting to happen, every one from beginners fresh from college to the most experianced of experianced read the threads on this forum, your attitude and information regarding said subject will lead to only one outcome in the end, an accident.

We all pass on info which we shouldnt and he/she would have to be whiter than white to say they havent, but look at this way if you pass on the rubbish in your post then the person passes on that to another and so on, sooner or later sombody will get burnt or worse a fatality will occur.

Afag guides give you all the info you require and if your still unsure fone the relevant electric company, you might be able to bounce the wires or what ever other wild ideas you have, you may even clash the wires and still walk away unscathed, but be aware somebody with a life threatening condition could be requiring power to keep alive e.g. kidney dialisis or ventilator etc and if you were to take this power you could be putting them in grave danger of losing there life.

And finally how you have the neck to say power line clearance cutters are bad with your past comments is beyond me

RANT OVER!!!

Have learnt alot from this thread. Ta all & to fluffy bunny for exact distances, dose this increase alot in the wet? Are the zones based on the distance the elec can ark to a climber? Not sure how or why these are decided?

What sort of costs can a co be faced with if a conection resulting in fuse blow out ect goes on? Would be usefull info to deter the £ hungry, safety blind eye co's to a different way of thinking!

I have no prob with telling anyone who asks me to do something I don't understand to fu*k off & am sure most people imputing into this post are of the same ilke...

Edited by Danavan

been utility cutting 8 years and no trouble.its the kids taught to use mewp with no cut knowledge thats dangerouis.im not doing that job any more.politics and dangerous kids put pay to one guy recently all ready.im out....

ive cut lv touching the line and un woven brash and epicormic from between live conductors.its ok.its the job but no one admits it......

the newbie kids are so tied in college they are gunna ff up.HV line down.dead guy on tree down on live LV line.....it will get worse.im good but the distance you can get to a line is close to cut.im not stupid but the industry now has stupid kids working.there will be more death.

how they can say a grunt can cut from a mewp i dont know,they just slash cut stuff out....

No offence guys but i keep reading some pretty bad info on here. Tidy trees mentions this 1m minimum distance. that is not a minimum distance, that is what is known as the live zone i.e a 1m circle around (11kv it is lower on Lv) the cable which is classed as live. following this circle is another ring which extends to 2m on HV (1m on LV) known as the vicinity zone. The idea is that if you are in the live zone it should be a shutdown or use rods to remove the infringing parts of the tree, the only safe minimum working distance is that whatever you are cutting cannot breach the vicinity zone. the vicinity zones are as follows:-

LV - 1m

11KV(HV) - 2m

33KV - 2.5m

66KV - 3m

132KV - 3.5m

275KV - 4m

400KV - 5m

anything above the conductors should also be classed as shutdown as if it were dropped could breach the live zone. Leave powerline stuff to the proffessionals.

im really not trying to be funny and i know that with regards to N.P.T.C you are correct but down here working for Western Power Distribution the distances of proximity zones and live zones are not the same as N.P.T.C im not sure where tidy trees is from but i can understand the confusion if he is down this way . W.P.D have a an authorisation known as L.V.O.H or D744 this is the training required to work live on lv from a mewp using approved methods of work , in this training they do not mention N.P.T.C zones and meterage .

as for the comment about conservatories, watter tanks etc etc you really have no idea :confused1: have you seen the results of comming into contact of live powerlines ??