Ethical tree surgery

bareroots

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This thread nearly has me crying, moved to the sticks over a year ago, and although I love the pace of life here (no traffic, miniml queues, friendly vibe etc.), am sick to the teeth of looking at jobs thinking "bit of a thinning, or a reduction would have this tree tip top" only to be told by the client "cut it in half". Try every time to explain the disasterous consequences to the tree, but can be like talking to a wall. Unfortunately, I work someone else so can't press too hard for fear of losing the job for my boss, but have so far been successful a grand total of 2 times in a year and a half of talking a customer round.

Bit different in Dublin (can't really say about any of the other cities), but other than that it seems like you guys over the water are light-years ahead. Long for the day when clients here(or other companies for that matter, what's the point if there are 10 other tree butchers willing to do what the client wants with no fuss?) start to give a toss, can't see it in my lifetime though. Anyway had to get that off my chest somewhere on here. Seemed like the best thread to do it on.

I was wondering what being an ethical tree surgeon would entail...

Should active tree planting be considered an intrinsic part of this? :thumbup1: or :thumbdown:

i'd say if youy want to go on about being an ethical tree surgeon you shouldn't be spiking your pruning jobs or leaving stubbs all the time, especially if you make out that all the other local tree surgeons are a bunch of hacks!:sneaky2:

I am rather confused by "Ethical", as I don't consider my actions unethical.

Most of my career (20 odd years) has been spent doing powerline work. Some may consider my work as butchery, and they are welcome to their opinion. I aim to cut my stumps low, I don't damage fences, I make sure the chips arn't fired down badgers sets, or bunnies holes, I don't block streams with my arisings.

I treat whoever I meet with politeness and respect. I try not to make my groundy cry (or knock him out with falling branches) and I try to swear quite quietly.

If I break somones property, I tell them, and if I have a Pee around the back of the garden shed, I don't aim for the sun lounger or the BBQ.

Despite not leaving pegs... or rips... or spiking up the back of trees, I TAKE PRIDE in the fact that you can see that I have been, because, as I see it, I don't want the powerlines and trees to blend in, because I WANT people to notice powerlines. Its not noticing powelines (or underestimating their danger) that causes injuries that ruin lives, and fatailities than end them.

As I say, others may well call it butchery. Could somone clarify wether or not I AM UNETHICAL?? :confused1:

you shouldn't be spiking your pruning jobs or leaving stubbs all the time

I'm always keen to learn jp. If there's a job I've done that you think I should have done differently please ring me up for a chat and i'll talk it through with you. I wouldn't spike a pruning job unless it be a sequoia. please inform me of otherwize. The only stubs I've left intentionally are pollards.

especially if you make out that all the other local tree surgeons are a bunch of hacks!:sneaky2:

That article was unfortunate. The way the journalist wrote implied things out of context. I was trying to promote the ethic or replacement tree planting and get some free advertising to boot. Nothing but trying to put food on the table. I've no beef against any other arb in the area. I've no desire for any. If there's still some lingering please say so and I'll call to clear the air.

Most of my career (20 odd years) has been spent doing powerline work. Some may consider my work as butchery, and they are welcome to their opinion. I aim to cut my stumps low, I don't damage fences, I make sure the chips arn't fired down badgers sets, or bunnies holes, I don't block streams with my arisings.

I treat whoever I meet with politeness and respect. I try not to make my groundy cry (or knock him out with falling branches) and I try to swear quite quietly.

If I break somones property, I tell them, and if I have a Pee around the back of the garden shed, I don't aim for the sun lounger or the BBQ.

Despite not leaving pegs... or rips... or spiking up the back of trees, I TAKE PRIDE in the fact that you can see that I have been, because, as I see it, I don't want the powerlines and trees to blend in, because I WANT people to notice powerlines. Its not noticing powelines (or underestimating their danger) that causes injuries that ruin lives, and fatailities than end them.

As I say, others may well call it butchery. Could somone clarify wether or not I AM UNETHICAL?? :confused1:

Sounds to me like, in what you do, you do your best and that is good although the thread is more about replanting rather than workmanship. Utility work is a different kettle of fish to domestic or municiple. I`m glad that the roads, railways and power lines are kept clear.

Keep up your ethical work:001_smile:. Alot of power line work I have seen is for want of a better word SH*T!:thumbdown:

I Did 1 day for a large utilty co & that was enough for me! I have worked for many co's but the utility sector IMO has the worst ethical standard's that I have seen & heard of from people who have done time with..

If only people like yourself could be a majoraty in the utility way then maybe our industry could move up a notch in the eyes of the government & those that would like to make our industury a skilled trade!

Keep up the good ethics:thumbup1: