chipper size?

Stihlwatersrundeep

Do you find that it gets overloaded when nearly full and when u drive home you are looking up at the sky?? haha

LOL, use to,got set of millner heavy duty springs and shocks on the back end keeps it level...ish:bongsmi:

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so what's the minimum size for a small outfit, (1 bloke and a hilux with truckman top!) got to start somewhere!

I'd say anything with hydrolic feed and a proper chute.

Problem seems to be that if you go below 5" they all have ground chutes.

If you get a small one you will struggle on jobs where the wood is a waste of axe strength. Laylandii , willow , poplars etc.

On those i throw anything that will fit through the chipper and mix the rest up with log pile.

Other good wood trees like fruit you need the hopper width to actually manage to get anything in. Even on my 5 inch I struggle my arse off getting tangled fruit twigs into the hopper. Anything smaller than 5" would be difficult. Thats my opinion :drunk:

I'd say anything with hydrolic feed and a proper chute.

Problem seems to be that if you go below 5" they all have ground chutes.

If you get a small one you will struggle on jobs where the wood is a waste of axe strength. Laylandii , willow , poplars etc.

On those i throw anything that will fit through the chipper and mix the rest up with log pile.

Other good wood trees like fruit you need the hopper width to actually manage to get anything in. Even on my 5 inch I struggle my arse off getting tangled fruit twigs into the hopper. Anything smaller than 5" would be difficult. Thats my opinion :drunk:

Personally I think 5" is too small. Not because you'll be chipping that diameter of timber, but just for getting those gnarly branches in there. Also, if you chip a decent sized piece of Leylandii, by the time it has got to the end of the branch where all the greenery is it is going to be a lot thicker than 5".

Personally I think 5" is too small. Not because you'll be chipping that diameter of timber, but just for getting those gnarly branches in there. Also, if you chip a decent sized piece of Leylandii, by the time it has got to the end of the branch where all the greenery is it is going to be a lot thicker than 5".

Think Mr Bish just said all that about his 5" machine

Stihlwaters, going back to your first post, i think you will struggle to get the perfect machine for all jobs. Even if money is no object you can spend a lot on a big machine and still be limited on smaller jobs- access etc.

You will feel like you are stuck between a rock and a hard place when choosing your first machine, and still get it in budget!

By the sound of it you intend selling firewood, so that is a consideration. But also you should take into account what sort of work you carry out, ie is it mostly hardwoods or do you do lots of conifers, hedge reductions, willow/poplar re-pollards etc? This will help you decide in infeed size.

I would still definately go for hydraulic feed whatever machine you end up with.

Another small thought is, would you have a market for chips?

Oh, and dont worry about shovelling chips out of the truck, as i have said before- use a fork- its easy!

Hope you get sorted.

Hi guys, if you don't mind, I'll put in my two cents. My wife and I run a full time tree service here in the US (Montana). We keep our setup basic and small because it is just the two of us. We use the Vermeer 625 (6") chipper, hydraulic feed. This chipper works really well and has turned out to be quite rugged. Of note on this particular chipper, it had a system called autofeed which regulated the load on the motor and would disconnect the feed rollers if the load was determined too much. This was crap (IMO). Easily took four times as long to chip a branch. We had it disconnected prior to purchase. You can still regulate the speed of the in feed roller via a lever.

With the price of gas now, we are really pleased with its fuel efficiency under operation.

For those of you still shoveling chips out of the truck, you really should look at a loadhandler http://www.loadhandler.com

I think we got this the first year it came out. And it works as advertised. Cheap alternative to a tipper.

D and S Mc

726428DE.jpg.eabb3cc5842993e5f6cfc1f4bb000096.jpg

I think we got this the first year it came out. And it works as advertised. Cheap alternative to a tipper.

D and S Mc

Hello D,

Nice looking Rig you have there.

The Loadhandler looks pretty useful in the vid.

How long have you been using it for, and do you off load timber as well as chip?

If so does this cause excessive wear?

Thanks

David