first steps

ecolojim

well now, it's hardly going to be big news to anyone here, but I thought id let you know my 120 foot hank of 1/2" XTC arrived today and I took to the skies for the first time in a big oak out back. went with a split tail since a: I had one, and b: i couldnt get the blakes to advance using the tail end of the same rope, it tightened up too much.

So I set up a decent anchor point with my throwline, set my rope, tied in and up I went, even managed to go out on a limb briefly. OK so i didnt have a second TIP as I havent got a lanyard/flipline yet (choosing which to go for) but no harm done, and of course I wasnt running a saw.

so there we go. just thought I'd share :D

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah thanks Tim, I think I'll do just that (when i get chance). in the mean time, if one were to open the tree climber's companion to the centre pages, it's half way between the two diagrams. a split tail climbing system with a blakes (working end of line attached to biner by spliced eye, split tail by double fishermans) but no slack tending micro pulley.

Although I am most tempted to employ a system for bodythrusting that uses a light prussik cord with a micropulley attached to the working end of your climbing line with the pulley below the blakes, to advance it automatically as you pull in on the line. I can imagine it saving my elbows over time although might be a bit annoying when lowering oneself or letting out some slack for limb walking.

if any of that makes any sense whatsoever :)

must must must get some double locking karabiners though, ive been using appropriately rated screwgates that I have for sport climbing. I cant see how the ropes could ever undo them as the ropes at that point are completely static, but i believe it's a regulation that double lockers be used?

ive been using appropriately rated screwgates that I have for sport climbing. I cant see how the ropes could ever undo them as the ropes at that point are completely static,

The rope can and will!!!!!!!!!!:scared:

Don't risk it:icon14::wave:

congrats Jim

if you dont have asecondary use the other end of your rope 120` is alot of rope use it all mate once your free in the tree enjoy oaks are an excellent climb not muich slipping around & good branch structure

beech & sycs get slippy & lombardy pops restrict movement due to form + can snap out easier

i got screw gate on my saw strop and that seems to undo it self on a regular basis so dont trust em buddy, so its 3 way for me, as for climbing line setup its prusik on line and 6m strop with pulley and prussik cord with double fishermans attaching it on crab. very nice one hand can pull up alot of slack great for walking in from long limb,