DIY cambium saver?

RobRainford

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i was planning to go for tying some fishermans knots round the same as i would with my lanyard or climbing line friction cords, and make sure they are all secure and stuff

Could be a bit bulky for retrievel from the ground or are you thinkin of retreving it whilst up the tree? A splice would be alot more streamlined.

Could be a bit bulky for retrievel from the ground or are you thinkin of retreving it whilst up the tree? A splice would be alot more streamlined.

yeah i was thinking splices, but im just thinking of costs really, if there was anyone who could splice up some rope for me if be grateful

here is the list so far:

HB15MC - Maillon Rapide - Standard 8mm £2.95 ex VAT Quantity

HB15MD - Maillon Rapide Pear Link 12mm £7.00 ex VAT Quantity

HB15M - Maillon Rapide Delta Steel Link 10mm £4.25 ex VAT Quantity

HB8AF/PS - Marlow Boa 9mm Friction Cord - TiedLength: 50 cm

£6.50 ex VAT Quantity

HB20C - Petzl Oscillante Pulley £8.04 ex VAT Quantity

HB8CB - Yale XTC-12 Climbing Rope £3.18 ex VAT Quantity

Total ex VAT £31.92

i have an oscillante already, but i dont know whether to use that one i have already or buy one specially for this to keep it all together. its working otu cheaper than other makes which are simpler in design

is it possible for me to make my own adjustable cambium saver? i was thinking buy a 1.5m length of rope, buying some prussik material, a pulley and some metal rings. what would bet he best ropes to make this of?

How would be the best way to put this together? is this any good?

sort of like a cheap adjustable friction saver.

here is a very poor quality drawing example

customw.png

SherrillTree carry several ready-made prussik/ring combinations that are designed to be mounted on friction savers to make them adjustable:

media.nl?id=3498&c=839638&h=334bdafc726ef4e343bf

Friction Saver Prusik : SherrillTree Tree Care Equipment

http://www.sherrilltree.com/site/pdfs/FrictionSaverPrusik-Ins.pdf

I have tried one on a few occasions, but would honestly say that I am not impressed. I am seriously considering making up one out of a piece of climbing rope, a carabiner and a mechanical adjustor (Petzl Micro-Grab).

Edited by morten

thats what i was thinking, a big maillon on the left hand side and a pulley with a small gap, like a petzl fixe or something, as then i could just tie a knot in it and it would pull on the pulley and pop through the maillon, that was my aim anyway.

i do remember that, ill have a look for that too, im sure his idea was similar

ive seen that, but was looking for something like a pulley as its a lot smoother IMO. Maybe a crab with a pulley in would work too? as when the rope drops through the other loop it would ride on the pulley instead of a ring, plus i want to feel good about making my own stuff :thumbup:

one peice of rope 1.5mish/ x2 revolver's/ bit of prussik and bit of zing-it on end of rope to catch parrell ball on catcher. so makes fully adjustible cambium saver but by this time, you could of properlby made a rope guide for simallar vaule, and you could use it as re-direct.

An ART ropeguide seems horrendously expensive, but you can pay for one with one job, and you would never regret buying it.

It is your life hanging off that cambium saver buddy!

thats why im looking into it a bit more, i want to get the better quality cords and pulleys for them to work properly when they are all together, a ropeguide is probably the beetter option, but money isnt on my side as you know.

i coudl use an ART pulley instead of the oscillante, but that amkes it a lot more expensive!

ive got some money on the way soon, from some work i did a couple weeks ago so i will be using that for kit!

ive had a play with some old blaze rope and what i had in my kit, i have no maillons so had to stick with normal biners, this was just getting an idea of what it could look like.

i am aware that this needs changing, i need a shorter prussik, a different pulley and maillons.

Is it worth sticking with the fishermans on each end? or should i splice it?

img0902p.jpg

img0901k.jpg