motorway banking cutting/ chipping

shabz1978

we've been working down in manchester recently and i've noticed while passing on the motorway lads cutting on the bankings and chipping on the hard shoulder with up to 20 cones around them (at most a hard shoulder closure) there was one squad with a crash cushion and nothing else and another squad today with absolutely nothing.

it strikes me as not at all very safe with the obvious dangers of the motorway, i've worked on motorways for 15 years and i'm sure i've not worked like that for at least ten years.

does anyone know what TM is supposed to be used when working on the side of a busy motorway?? surely this can't be right?

Did some work like that a couple of years ago. One day, i wasn`t in, a car came off the motorway and crashed into the bank where the other guys had been working minutes before:scared1: Someone did ask a supervisor about more protection but nothing ever happened.

we've been working down in manchester recently and i've noticed while passing on the motorway lads cutting on the bankings and chipping on the hard shoulder with up to 20 cones around them (at most a hard shoulder closure) there was one squad with a crash cushion and nothing else and another squad today with absolutely nothing.

it strikes me as not at all very safe with the obvious dangers of the motorway, i've worked on motorways for 15 years and i'm sure i've not worked like that for at least ten years.

does anyone know what TM is supposed to be used when working on the side of a busy motorway?? surely this can't be right?

You can work up to an hour with a temporary closure that you put out, working either on the hard shoulder or on the verge, few cones and a blue arrow 50mtr back from your van or worksite, anything over an hour you need a full Highways Agency closure, bigger cones, bigger signs and lamped up if on longer for a day, this is put out by qualified HA personel.

I think crash cushions are for traffic emergencys or temporary/constant moving works like strimming or litter picking.

At the end of the day a cone is not going to stop a car, either is a crash cushion if a car comes in from the side as aposed to behind.

Its classed as mobile works :001_huh:

Exactly, Cant really rig up strong crash proof barriers down the whole side of a motorway, Its not cost affective,The cutting moves down the motorway fairly quickly so i guess cones and signs can be moved quickly too.

It would cost a fortune to rig something up that would stop a car spinning off up the banking on every job!!

Unless I'm working on the site, the way others do things is of no interest to me.

My life is busy enough without worrying about what others chose to do.

i find this rather insulting. i put this on here hoping some of the less experienced lads on here might think about what they're being asked to do.

maybe they might ask the question one day and they might not be killed by a drunk or a sleeping lorry driver. they might not be hit by a scaffold pole that fell off a lorry like one of my mates was a few years ago

i'd rather you didn't post than just insinuate that i'm being nosey or jealous that someone else is doing the work.

if you have a valid opinion, then please, let's hear it. it might help someone one day.

Exactly, Cant really rig up strong crash proof barriers down the whole side of a motorway, Its not cost affective,The cutting moves down the motorway fairly quickly so i guess cones and signs can be moved quickly too.

It would cost a fortune to rig something up that would stop a car spinning off up the banking on every job!!

cost isn't an issue. there are lane one closures on all the time.

it wouldn't take much to organise the tree works at the same time.

at least a lane one closure would give a bit more time and bring the risk down to a more acceptable level