Rigging Kit

RobRainford

An example of a matched system:

1. 20mm (3/4") polyester double braid rigging rope 10,000Kg BS

2. 22mm (7/8") polyester double braid dead eye sling 15,000Kg BS

3. 20mm arborist rigging pulley with 5:1 bend radius for the running rope and 3:1 for the dead eye sling 10,000Kg BS

4. System working load limit of 1000 Kg

notice that the dead eye sling must be (at least) 1.5 times the strength of the rigging rope

and that the pulley is the same mm as the rigging rope

put it this way my kit works by this method which is how i was instructed!

if you are buying a kit ask the shop for the manufacturers advice on creating a matched system then it will be right and last longer

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Block only come in 16mm and 20mm, so for 13mm rope your stuffed then!!

You can still use a 13mm rigging line in that system. Lets say the 13mm has 4000Kg BS, your sytem now has an overlall workign load limit of 400kgs.

No worries that your pulleys etc are bigger. Flattening of the rope would only occur in very heavy loads where your increasign the cycles to failure anyway. You might feasably speed up those cycles to failure but regular inspection should detect that.

Your not wrong, and if that is how you were taught then thats fine.

I personally set up with the biggest pulley I'm going to need for the job, but use a much smaller rope to start with and increase size when required without going back to replace pulleys. I can increase the size of the rope well before I get anywhere near the SWL for the rope. I think if you have one rigging line then you would want to get pulleys that fit it, but if you have three rigging lines and (like me) you use 2-3 or even 4 blocks at a time that would mean you would need a lot of blocks!

Thats not really feasable, but they only come in 16 and 20mm anyway so for 13mm rope you don't have much choice.

so for rope you would recommend something more like a 16mm for a 16mm block and a 19mm split tail?

on a side not ive got some good news, im managing to get my CS39 training through myerscough for free because of my FDSC and ive got an assessment credit for an assessment thats paid for but didnt complete, so my plans this summer have suddenly become a lot cheaper!

this hopefully means i can spend more on some godo rigging, i would go and buy that in person after ive got a good idea of what to buy

click the ics link at the top they have a 13mm option

http://www.iscwales.com/pdf/pulleys/arborist/RP050-51%20Small%20cast%20pulley.pdf

Rpo 50 13mm

Rpo 51 16mm

Cool, not seen that one before!

I still think it makes negligable difference. Theres no way I'd buy 4x 13mm blocks for the initial phase of a job then switch to 16m rope and 2x 16mm bocks, for medium weight wood then switch to 19mm rope and a 20mm block for heavy wood, especially as you might want to switch back and forth during the job anyway.

still the pulley dose state the rope size

but i agree with you about changing gear etc

i just use 16mm unless its v big then i get the 20mm out

must admit though a smaller kit would be nice some times

so for rope you would recommend something more like a 16mm for a 16mm block and a 19mm split tail?

I think your original plan is fine (but with a 16mm block). If you go to 16mm rope then you will need more than a figure 8 to lower off, so you are entering a different area altogether.

Stay well with the SWL of the rope that you get and you will be fine.

But I also agree that you could wait till the course and learn more about it properly then. Arbtalk is for good for oppinions and ideas but you need to listen to what the instructors say to pass the course, after that you can work more things out for yourself.

I think your original plan is fine (but with a 16mm block). If you go to 16mm rope then you will need more than a figure 8 to lower off, so you are entering a different area altogether.

Stay well with the SWL of the rope that you get and you will be fine.

But I also agree that you could wait till the course and learn more about it properly then. Arbtalk is for good for oppinions and ideas but you need to listen to what the instructors say to pass the course, after that you can work more things out for yourself.

:dito::withstupid: LOL

still the pulley dose state the rope size

but i agree with you about changing gear etc

i just use 16mm unless its v big then i get the 20mm out

must admit though a smaller kit would be nice some times

Yes it does your right!! Petzl ones say >13mm etc and some say 13>diam<16 for example.

The smaller rope is much nicer to use for small stuff but I wouldn't want 4 13mm blocks as well, I've got too much as it is.

Have you seen in one of my vids that I change the rope from 13mm to 16mm using throwline to join them so it runs through the blocks? I can rig off 13mm then get the groundie to change the line, rig the larger stuff, then switch back again with out changing or going back to the blocks.