Rigging Kit

RobRainford

So, over the summer im aiming to go through my CS39, 40 if the budget allows and 41, and if i manage to, ill be looking to buy some rigging kit, can anybody recommend a basic kit?

Currently ive been going through honeybros and got this list:

HB91NA - Yale Split Tail 16mm x 4m

HB94C - Liros Rigging Rope - 12mm

HB20AB - ISC Figure of 8 Horned Descender

HB91LA - Lightweight Lowering Pulley 45kN

HB14DB - DMM 12mm Kwiklock Steel Karabiner

im looking for a good balance of quality but fairly cheap. What would you guys think?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

All good, but you will be quite limited with that pulley. Its ok for top rigging lightweight stuff but not for dropping loads onto. I use them as redirects and for final lowerign points but not for main anchor.

A small ISC block would be better and then the lightweight one aswell if you can afford it.

And for rope, a little more money would get you the 13mm double braid rope which is much better.

All good, but you will be quite limited with that pulley. Its ok for top rigging lightweight stuff but not for dropping loads onto. I use them as redirects and for final lowerign points but not for main anchor.

A small ISC block would be better and then the lightweight one aswell if you can afford it.

And for rope, a little more money would get you the 13mm double braid rope which is much better.

some of this?

HB94 - Yale Double Esterlon Lowering Rope - 13mm

Yale Double Esterlon Lowering Rope - 13mm

i could go for a heavyweight pulley, i was thinking the lightweight one would suffice, but this stuff is worth investing in!

probably one of these if id go for one

HB91DA - Heavy Duty 16mm Small Pulley

Heavy Duty 16mm Small Pulley

ive got a budget of probably stretching to £250

with everything so far:

HB91NA - Yale Split Tail 16mm x 4m £38.95 ex VAT Quantity

HB20AB - ISC Figure of 8 Horned Descender £23.95 ex VAT Quantity

HB14DB - DMM 12mm Kwiklock Steel Karabiner £17.00 ex VAT Quantity

HB94 - Yale Double Esterlon Lowering Rope - 13mm £92.25 ex VAT Quantity

[/url] HB91DA - Heavy Duty 16mm Small Pulley £67.00 ex VAT Quantity

Total ex VAT £239.15

I just checked and that lirios rope is pretty strong!! And a Tad stronger than the other one. Either would be perfectly good I'm sure.

Yes to that Block. You need something way stronger than the rope for your main anchor. The lightweight one is rate 45k, that less than the rope, thats no good. The rope should be the weakest part of the sytem ideally, you'll learn all this on the course.

The ISC blocks should last a very long time so they are a good investment. The lightweight one (if used as a top anchor) wouldn't last long at all.

I just checked and that lirios rope is pretty strong!! And a Tad stronger than the other one. Either would be perfectly good I'm sure.

Yes to that Block. You need something way stronger than the rope for your main anchor. The lightweight one is rate 45k, that less than the rope, thats no good. The rope should be the weakest part of the sytem ideally, you'll learn all this on the course.

The ISC blocks should last a very long time so they are a good investment. The lightweight one (if used as a top anchor) wouldn't last long at all.

What would be the best way to anchor at the top, another split tail like i have?

and ive never been able to work out the difference with whoopie and loopie slings, can you enlighten me?

Yes, split tail is good. You always use at least one size up from your rigging line, so a 16mm is good. If rigging with 16mm rope you would attach block with 19mm split tail etc. That is because there can be double loading on the anchor (theoretically) and so it maintains the rope as the weakest part.

and ive never been able to work out the difference with whoopie and loopie slings, can you enlighten me?

Your gettign technical now! Erm, well......

A loopie is an adjustable circle, and a whoopie is like an adjustable split tail in a way. You can adjust the lenght of the eye I think. I've never owned a whoopie cos I've never had a flying capstan thingy.

Yes, split tail is good. You always use at least one size up from your rigging line, so a 16mm is good. If rigging with 16mm rope you would attach block with 19mm split tail etc. That is because there can be double loading on the anchor (theoretically) and so it maintains the rope as the weakest part.

Your gettign technical now! Erm, well......

A loopie is an adjustable circle, and a whoopie is like an adjustable split tail in a way. You can adjust the lenght of the eye I think. I've never owned a whoopie cos I've never had a flying capstan thingy.

ive heard them be called that so thats how i know them, but i never knew the difference, but then again i never really paid attention to look. What is the need in a whoopie if there is a split tail? surely because no matter how big the eye is its not going to make much difference? unless you can hook it round a stub on a branch and need to extend it?

i think id go with the liros 12mm and the 16mm split tail, seems a good few sizes up i think! using the cheaper rope knocks about 15 quid off the cost, need all the money i can get really. especially with a lack of work. There is always my student loan!

Thanks rupe, some good helping there!

A whoopie is length adjustable, so you can choke it off without tying any knots. If you're on a budget, learn to splice tenex. Its dead easy and you can make your own split tails much cheaper than you can buy double braid slings.