Mewp

Highland Forestry

Hi All..

Has anybod got any experience with tracked MEWP's ??

I have a bit of an urgent job to get kicked off shortly, and am looking to hire in a MEWP to use on rough terrain (mostly forest land with underplanting/heather etc beneath) and have been wondering about ground pressure and damage caused by tracks and outriggers as well as how high they go and which ones are best suited to tree work..

Has anyone got any ideas as to rough costings of tracked MEWP hire?

I tried calling our local hire centre thisafternoon, but it seems they packed up early for the day.

Any thoughts most welcome..

Matt :001_smile:

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Matt,

Try looking at teupen, they do a range of machines, ive mainly used the leo 23, which had good outreach with a working height of 23m. Ive used these on our nature reserves and parks and open spaces, with little damage. quite costly though i think, around £250-£350 a day....

Johnny, the fence panel was ok but the privet was trashed. :001_rolleyes:

Matt, Teupen as suggested above are your best bet, they are fail to safe and as basic as they need to be.

IMO outreach is your most important asset, my mewp goes up 60ft right under the tree but has 33ft of outreach which is cracking.

Tracks over heather will flatten it but it will recover no probs, just take a 8ft 3/4 ply board and track it onto it and turn on the board to avoid chewing the ground up

Johnny, the fence panel was ok but the privet was trashed. :001_rolleyes:

Matt, Teupen as suggested above are your best bet, they are fail to safe and as basic as they need to be.

IMO outreach is your most important asset, my mewp goes up 60ft right under the tree but has 33ft of outreach which is cracking.

Tracks over heather will flatten it but it will recover no probs, just take a 8ft 3/4 ply board and track it onto it and turn on the board to avoid chewing the ground up

that s a relieve :biggrin:

Thanks for all the replies guys...

Ahh Dean... I forgot you were 'experienced' heheh :biggrin:

The Teupen machines look quite good.... basic and capable, great stuff.

The ground we will be using the machine on is very uneven.. if you can imagine a caledonian pine forest, it has alot of moss, blaeberry, heather, old covered stumps etc.

I was told about the octopussey machines - are they any good??

Stevie - Iain in Inverness has a really nice looking set up, not sure what his availability is but we'll be needing a mewp for about 3 weeks!