fast tow trailer.

Tom D

I'm planning to build a timber trailer to tow behind the landy, iwill be fitting a 4-5m crane and grab rotator, having never used a timber crane I was wondering what they are like to use with solid sided trailers. Are they a PITA compared with an open trailer with bolsters? I am still at the design stage so any oppinions welcome.:001_smile:

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I already have a tipper for loose stuff and so for the crane trailer I am trying to save weight to maximise payload, it will be made of alloy, that way I should be able to get close to a 2.5 ton payload. Having sides would add weight and also restrict load space for knobbly logs, however it would mean we could chuck short pieces and rings in if necessary which would be handy. I just wondered if using a grepple in a slab sided trailer was awkward.

As you know tree surgery jobs dont produce lots of dead streight even lengthed pieces so I'd really like something flexible, I could have bolsters but fairly close together or short 1foot sides and then bolsters, I just don't know yet.:001_smile:

i think the main issue is the weight on the drawbar, so you have to shift the bed and crane close to the axle to get the balance right

I have seen several ag trailer with timber cranes which work fine as you can put rings in and lengths so handy for what you decribe

i think the main issue is the weight on the drawbar, so you have to shift the bed and crane close to the axle to get the balance right

I have seen several ag trailer with timber cranes which work fine as you can put rings in and lengths so handy for what you decribe

I'm hoping that with the crane lying allong the trailer I'll get away with the 100Kg nose weight. I am fitting a PTO and pump to the landy so there will be no engine or tank to mount on the trailer. I have sen agg trailers with cranes too, has anyone used one?

i remember seeing a trailer on here that was an ifor with a crane and bolisters. looked ok but i think it was heavy and wouldnt carry much legally. altho if i was to do a project like your planning here id use an ifor as a base to mount onto

I know the one you mean, its seriously expensive and only carries about 1.6-1.7 ton which is not enough for me, hence building it in ally. Realisticly you're looking at half a ton minimum for the crane alone so the chassis needs to be light to keep the weight down. I dont want just a toy crane on it, something decent that will lift a ton-ish close in.:001_smile: