Worst day ever (for me)

Ian Flatters

Well...went to do a what was supposed to be a simple 5837 survey of a proposed roadway for a landfill site in north Norfolk. Hmm rained all day Sunday and i didn't think it was going to be an issue. Arrive on site today and the survey area was like a bog of churned up clay and water. Go to sign in on site and get handed a respirator, oxygen backpack tank thing to wear plus a methane alarm and a quick induction. This is when the site supervisor tells me one of the dozers has ripped the membrane and methane is leaking across the site. Not a risk to you just put the mask on if the alarm sounds, you'll be fine buh he said. This point i was thinking of going home but thought you've traveled all the way here so just get on with it. First half of the survey went without a hitch other than getting my weather writer, compass and clinometer caught up i the respirators clips. Second half Alarm sounds so on goes the mask turn of the valve, nice stale tasting oxygen, so i turn round to walk back wellie comes off, sock slips in bog and i face plant the ground! covered from head to toe in clay mud. With the added bonus of hardly being able to see out of my respirator now! Sod the wellie i thought and tried to walk back to the site office. Get back to the office to the obvious amusement of the staff. Get in truck go home, arriving at home i realize that the muddy water went into my weather writer and turned most of the survey into mush. So as i write this they are currently drying on a radiator. Oh i wish i would id sub contracted this one out.:thumbdown:

Thats terrible news:thumbdown:

I bet not one of them took a photo of you.:001_tongue:

Best to look on the brightside................Coulda been worse,coulda been me!

:lol:

Only JK, doesnt sound like a good day at all. Especially having to mess about with methane an all.

Thats terrible news:thumbdown:

I bet not one of them took a photo of you.:001_tongue:

Best to look on the brightside................Coulda been worse,coulda been me!

:lol:

Only JK, doesnt sound like a good day at all. Especially having to mess about with methane an all.

Camera phones galore i'll see if i can get one of them to blue tooth it to me when i finish tomorrow, well its worth a share.

Wow, that's a bad day.

Wasn't there a risk of explosion with all that methane floating about:confused1:

No only if you have a flame within 10m of the source leak the guy said, something to do with oxygen watering it down like. And that was a good 50m + away from me. Im sure if i was closer to the leak itself they wouldn't of let me on the site or even had the tip open for that, but dust carts were coming in and out all day so i guess the risk wasn't too great. The wind was blowing my way and if it think about it the methane alarm probably is set to go off at any low reading so people get out of there. Still made me panic a lot when it did go off.