Climbing boots

kram

I want to get new boots. What do you use or recommend?

I'm currently wearing a pair of Andrews and while the protection is good, nothing else is, including the fit is about a size too big, but thats all they had at the time.

Main annoyances are the lack of grip while climbing and the toe box is huge, often my foot wont fit in the gap between branches. Its like wearing a brick!

You should never buy any footwear that costs well into triple figures without trying them on first, unless you already have intimate knowledge of brand sizing and shape.

Recommendations are grand, but they don't mean a thing unless you can try them on. 

Trouble is that everyone’s feet are different so what suits one will not suit another. I’ve got really wide feet and have real problem getting any type of footwear that fits properly so rarely buy online. Others have standard feet and can easily get them to fit comfortably 

• Like 1

Yes I will be trying them on. However trying them on the ground does not mean they will be any good in the tree. Many times I have been to Honies and the items I wanted were in a warehouse 30 miles away and not available in the shop so a wasted journey. If I know what to try on in advance, I can check they have my size, UK10-11, stocked.

As an example I once tried on and purchased a £400 goretex textile motorcycle jacket, warm and comfy in the shop, one if the big well known brands, I had no experience buying textiles. Horrendous wet weather at the time. 5 minutes in the rain had my wallet, phone, cash and everything else in my outer pockets soaked through as the goretex is only on the inner layer. Straight back to the shop as not fit for purpose but it was not returnable. The inner pockets were inadequate.

I still have it tho rarely used. I stay dry but then the outer layers drip for hours on the floor, holds a good amount of water.

• Like 1

My opinion is worthless, I still climb in my ancient Treehogs which are just fine for me, and I really don't climb enough to make it worth upgrading at the moment. To be honest, if I'm doing a big apple tree with a silky, I'm doing it in my trainers.

I have taken on board recommendations for the Scafell Lite though... but I've not even bothered to check where the closest place to me is to try them on.

Maybe some better climbers will be along shortly to share more extensive wisdom and experience than I have 😉 

• Like 1