Another Chipbox Problem

Dean Lofthouse

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you want, my cousin will build you a superb folded welded alloy chip box. He used to build Alloy bulker tippers for montracon, so what you want would be peasy squesy...

If I did some drawings and emailed them, would he be able to price off that Ed. I can make them fairly detailed.?

BTW sorted a splitter for now, going to see how I get on with it. It's the one Chris Shep had in the for sale section. :icon14:

• 5 months later...

Hey all, i have looked at getting a box made for my tipper, a quote from a blacksmith was 800 + vat for just a frame to be built out of mild steel. After picking myself up from his workshop floor i did some investigating. Parker steel can supply enough steel to buit a 10x7x4 foot back for £200 to make a frame. you have to weld it yourself but if you know a friend etc etc etc. You can then either board it with ply or spend another 220 and get enough alloy sheet to cover it. I am going to do this but use a super tough pvc tarp pulled tight for the top. I will let you all know how it goes.

I think tbh, making the box out of ali is only half the battle. those steel dropsides are so flipping heavy in the first place.

a bloke round here has a tarp top, in fact a number of them do. they have a piece of ply in the end of it to protect it from over zealous chipping, it looks quite smart too.

Nice ideas but flippin expensive!

I took some of their ideas to an ali supplier who supplies most of the hgv body builders in our area. They are making a chip box form same profile ali as overlands with 8x4 ft sides, a full height toolbox with shelving and twin roller shutter doors all clips and ali angle to bolt it to. It all comes flat packed ready to be assembnled and fitted to the steel floor on our Iveco Daily for £1450 plus vat. I'll post some before, during and after pics when its done.