anyone recommend some anti vibe gloves?

Ollie_M

I've got a pair of Timberland branded AV gloves  - had them about 10 years.  Still available online.

They're padded and weighted and assume they work on a similar principle to the handlebar grips and weights that motorcycle handlebars use.

Do they work?

Yes - sort of.

They seem to reduce some of the higher frequency vibration but it's not night and day.

As an absolute guess it feels as if it's down by 25-30%.

They are thick, they are hot - so only get used very occasionally with machinery that vibrates a lot.  Mainly a two-wheeled tractor that's got a large, 'vibratey' single cylinder engine.

If you've got £70-80 to blow - might be worth a try.

If I lost mine - would I buy again?  Not really sure.

21 hours ago, scbk said:

I'm not sure if they're effective, they're basically just padded gloves.

That doesnt mean they are not effective just that they are untested. I can say wearing gloves makes a huge difference over not wearing gloves, so it stands that some must be better and worse than others. It would be great if somone did testing and put together a standard for it - but then we might be required to wear them all the time... Hmm.

I like the thin cut protection gloves for working/climbing in a tree, but the vibration protection likely non existant. They do resist the silky a bit.

For ground work I use thicker leather work gloves - cheap things the council gave out to the hedge team when I worked for them. These seem to be pretty good at vibration and thorn resistance.

I dislike my mates newish Stihl 500i as it gives me a sore wrist from starting it!

Quite happy with my 020T

My worst event of white finger with a saw was from a relatively new McCulloch CS380 using it for hedge trimming for about an hour.

Maybe try some handlebar tape for road bicycles, some of the better stuff has gel in the core and available in different thicknesses for different size hands and preferred grip. Some is "extra tacky" to give that bit extra grip if that would be any use, plus it's all available in a million different colours, styles, patterns etc so might help ID your saw a bit easier.

This might be worth a read on choosing 

WWW.ALLMOUNTAINSTYLE.COM

Ever hit a trail where every bump felt like a direct message from the gravel gods? I have. And it led me to a revelation about one of the most underrated heroes of our rides: bar tape. Stick...

I’d use this 585 none stop relentlessly cutting firewood and my hands would be in agony after 10-12 litres through the saw. 

Put anti vibe tape, think it is for pushbikes or something. 

Makes a hell of a difference, makes the handle thicker which is perfect if you have bigger hands I find. 

IMG_5172.jpeg