Im doing a health and safety course, and a topic Im looking into is the advantage of wearing chin straps on safety helmets (not just arb)

Treemover

1 hour ago, oakandmaple said:

15 years ago my daughter went for her first climbing session at the local sports centre aged 4. ...

Jesus Christ!! Scary stuff. 

I'm not saying that the helmet isn't at fault here, obviously it's a key player... but the blame for that situation lies squarely with the instructor. There should have been a tagline attached to the back of the harness or a continuation of the tie-in rope from the front attachment point to assist in pulling the child down.

With regards to lids on kids at climbing walls, though... not necessary, in my humble opinion. It's a question of environment, I lid my kids when there's risk of rockfall from above, or other parties throwing stuff down on you. 

IMG-20240714-WA0004.thumb.jpg.8aa9022d864f529f4415cc0c8c4218ac.jpg

20240630_131700(0).thumb.jpg.0a28f168391af120ac109838af71fea3.jpg

• Like 6

7 hours ago, peds said:

Jesus Christ!! Scary stuff. 

I'm not saying that the helmet isn't at fault here, obviously it's a key player... but the blame for that situation lies squarely with the instructor. There should have been a tagline attached to the back of the harness or a continuation of the tie-in rope from the front attachment point to assist in pulling the child down.

With regards to lids on kids at climbing walls, though... not necessary, in my humble opinion. It's a question of environment, I lid my kids when there's risk of rockfall from above, or other parties throwing stuff down on you. 

IMG-20240714-WA0004.thumb.jpg.8aa9022d864f529f4415cc0c8c4218ac.jpg

20240630_131700(0).thumb.jpg.0a28f168391af120ac109838af71fea3.jpg

Agreed re kids and lids - though when an indoor wall is busy and they’re small I’ve put them on occasionally.

To be fair to the instructor / wall, I suspect she was the only person who had ever got stuck like that - she was pretty skinny and 3 inches shorter than the next shortest in reception  class - and by six months later she was too heavy to be able to recreate it.

Love being outside with them.

image.thumb.jpeg.29cd42f1d56daeb08c1f25578988f0e5.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1