Chipper Ticket

KBS2021

Evening all. 

I have a question about using manually fed chippers.

I work on an estate and we often use a towed wood chipper. I’ve asked for a while now about getting a ticket for the machine, but they are telling me myself and 4 team members don’t need it. 

Does anyone know what laws state? We’re covered by their company insurance for work in general which is a mix of gardening and tree work, but with new lads starting and using the machine with little experience, everyone has at least CS30-31 as minimum, I’m concerned about lack of training with chipper however. 

No, I’m now the most senior member of staff, but before this job I was working in farming and used to these sort of machines, it’s the younger lads who need the proper training I’m pushing for, they are expected to use the chipper with no formal training. I think the company I work for should put them through it like any other serious bits of kit. 

Hi KBS2021

As per the Provision and Use of Work Equipment Regulations...

Employers MUST "ensure that all persons who use work equipment have received adequate training for the purposes of health and safety, including training in the methods which may be adopted when using work equipment, and risks which such use may entail and the precautions to be taken."

What that training entails is up to the employer, but the employer must show that the training was adequate for the task at hand. 

PUWER mentions only two situations that have specific minimum health and safety training requirements; chainsaw use and driving. 

If anyone is harmed from using a chipper (and the results of being injured can be catastrophic) your employer may well find themselves being prosecuted, fined, and potentially jailed.  

• Like 2

Well, I suggest that during the wait for ‘proper’ training (if it arrives) you do a little research into what’s involved and conduct some in house training yourself.

Edited by Mick Dempsey

WWW.HSE.GOV.UK

This leaflet covers the safe working practices to be followed when operating a wood chipper. It does not cover a combination of machines working within each other's risk zones.
WWW.HSE.GOV.UK

A video showing the correct operation and procedures when using a wood chipper machine.

a good place to start but strongly advise relevant on site training and approved recognised assessment is the correct route for your employer    

1 hour ago, Mick Dempsey said:

Well, I suggest that during the wait for ‘proper’ training (if it arrives) you do a little research into what’s involved and conduct some in house training yourself.

...and record what you did / covered, when and to whom.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, KBS2021 said:

I think the company I work for should put them through it like any other serious bits of kit.

Yes. Before one of them puts themselves through it!