Tree cutter Stu

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On normal motorways the maximum speed for a Unimog is #:

Unimog’s <7500kg = 70mph (if towing a trailer it is 60mph)

Unimog’s >7500kg = 60mph

# = AMV’s (agricultural motor vehicles) are not allowed to use motorways as they are prohibited vehicles due the concessionary VED (vehicle excise duty) by the DVLA

Yes that was my understanding + if your are ruinning on red your asking for trouble !

1) If Unimogs cant use the motorway why is there a speed limit for them ?

2) What if you have'nt got it registered as an ag vehicle ?

3) I feel your talents are wasted messing about with trees ?

1: Unimog’s can be in many VED categories, some can use motorway like trucks, recovery vehicles, mobile cranes, etc, others cannot use motorway like e.g. agricultural motor vehicles etc.

NOTE: the use of rebate fuel (RED) is a separate issue witch is related to VED type & USE, trucks & recovery vehicles cannot use red but can use motorways, mobile cranes can use both but carry no load (other than for propulsion or equipment related to being a crane) etc, etc, etc, etc.

2: see reply to 1 above.

3: Thanks :), but I don’t just mess with trees! :smokin:

b101uk where do you get all this stuff everytime u come out with all this jargen it makes me laugh lol.

You must be getting it from somewhere

:)

well i have been running Unimog’s since ~1991 & have also been running 4x4 & 6x6 trucks as AMV's in the past so have had to deal with the DVLA & VI (VOSA as is now) in order to register the 4x4 & 6x6 as AMV's (the DVLA don’t like this) and I have to know the law somewhat in order to get away with things because I can quote the law to Mr plod if he stops me as he easily gets confused if he is looking at a truck but is being told it is a tractor, the same is true of Mr VOSA ;)

Besides I am one of the kinds of people who retain info. :proud:

Good point Marc, but even the lightest of 7.5 tonners will still only have a payload of 4 tonnes.

Absoloutly, but it still give you more usefull payload than a 7.5t with crane, but with added benefits, otherwise your looking at bigger kit.

And Lee you'd be surprised how a good operator can load a 7.5t truck using an avant, you are limited by reach, but use your head and you can load on some pretty big bits of timber, plus an Avant - CSF or similar is half decent offroad so can get places a 7.5t can't to extract the timber.

There are plus and minuses to any set-up.

If I had my own buisness i'd go down the 7.5t route and loaders, far more versatile than Mogs, grab trucks and other 4x4 in my opinion.

I'd have a 7.5t for chip and cord, 3.5t as a support vehicle to tow loader and carry kit.

Last guy I worked for banned me from posting pics of his Avant in action as he was afraid others would get one and then he'd lose his edge.

So tell no one o.k!!!!

if I had the work it would be a no brainer, Valtra with roof mouted crane, and big old tipper trailer, even better would be a trailer and crane combo like Skyhucks..

Or one of everything, I work with all manner of big kit and a little loader is still an amazing bit of kit in my eyes.

• 2 weeks later...