Chain oil ... best bang for the buck?

Witterings

10 hours ago, woody paul said:

Gator oils, used it for 10 years now with no problems with bars and chains. 

Sure that's what my recent order was.... got 100ltr off them bargain price but can't remember what I paid via ebay

Another Plus 1 for Gator Oil

I only buy 25l at a time and from memory. Gator price on ebay or direct was very similar. Only diff was that you could get different grades direct. They only ebayed ET30 whereas direct you could get 40 and 50. Plus now a Bio. 

On 22/06/2024 at 11:14, GarethM said:

Rotatech & Gator, great value and cheapest on eBay.

On 22/06/2024 at 11:45, rapalaman said:

Rotatech or Gator Oils - similar pricing and quality 

Ive been struggling with Rotatech over the past few months to be honest.  Its the 25 litre one - ISO 100 Universal Chainsaw Chain & Bar Oil. Bars, chains and nose sprockets were poorly lubricated, hot and I had a few situations where everything siezed up completed.

Damm nearly ruined a few bars as it left the nose sprockets stiff. Ive got the bar tips submerged in a mix of bar oil and diesel at the moment and I turn the teeth periodically in the oil with a screwdriver. I think its working.

I should add that before and after this I was using Oregon bar oil and everything was fine.  I think the Rotatech oil is just too thick.

Been running gator 30 for last few years, lots and lots of hours with zero problems, oil on max as I'm processing not felling.

Probably 100 litres a year on the log pile, so don't know how I compare 🙂.

Edited by GarethM

43 minutes ago, GarethM said:

Been running gator 30 for last few years, lots and lots of hours with zero problems, oil on max as I'm processing not felling.

Probably 100 litres a year on the log pile, so don't know how I compare 🙂.

Thanks.  I'm looking into it. Is it also ok in longer bars >25 inches ?

Edited by Muddy42

11 minutes ago, Muddy42 said:

Thanks.  I'm looking into it. Is it also ok in longer bars >25 inches ?

I run 18"s, the gator 30 is the standard oil.

They also sell a 40 & 50 that's thicker, might be better on a longer bar as it'll stick better one assumes and maybe reduces the amount?.

5 minutes ago, GarethM said:

I run 18"s, the gator 30 is the standard oil.

They also sell a 40 & 50 that's thicker, might be better on a longer bar as it'll stick better one assumes and maybe reduces the amount?.

Cheers.  I'll get in touch with Gator.  I can see arguments both ways - thicker oil would stick, but thinner oil would 'flow' along the bar groove better. Potentially thick oil (for a given outdoor temperature) could stress the oil pump. You don't want all the oil to be flung off the tip because you want some for the return chain journey where most of the cutting takes place.  You want the oil to lubricate and keep the bar nose sprocket cool.  Its a tough ask !

All my saws are pro saws with adjustable oilers set to max, so 'volume of oil' shouldn't be a problem.  i keep the bar grooves scrupulously clean and ensure oil pumps are working.   My main concern is having to replace bars prematurely which would be seriously expensive and frustrating - neither has even worn out a chain yet!

Just now, Muddy42 said:

My main concern is having to replace bars prematurely which would be seriously expensive and frustrating - neither has even worn out a chain yet!

You running things a bit tight?.

I run a lot of hours, so do go through chains regularly and maybe a bar or two a year.

29 minutes ago, GarethM said:

You running things a bit tight?.

I run a lot of hours, so do go through chains regularly and maybe a bar or two a year.

I don't think so.  When the siezures started, I even tried starting off with the tension slackened off a quarter of a turn, but this didn't help.

12 minutes ago, Muddy42 said:

I don't think so.  When the siezures started, I even tried starting off with the tension slackened off a quarter of a turn, but this didn't help.

Whilst I've never zip disked one apart, I tend to replace when they seize as they just keep doing it over and over again.

Guessing it has a bearing of sorts in the nose, I try to run loose but probably do 10 hours a week of constant saw usage depending on the log pile.