Vehicle marker

eggsarascal

Anyone know what happens if I’ve bought a vehicle with a police marker on it, does it get removed when there is a new registered owner, or is the vehicle stuck with the marker? I only ask as I’ve just bought a van and got a pull in it about 10 minutes later because it’s on the police radar, I’m not overly bothered because I’ve bought it to sell on. I did ask the copper who looked about 12, but he didn’t know the answer. 

I doubt the police would give you a straight answer to that - effectively your asking the police how long you have to be on best behaviour, if you get caught with drugs or guns in your car. I appreciate this was under previous ownership. Naturally make sure all your paperwork is up-to-date, your car is legal (tyres, number plate etc.) and drive on your best behaviour. 

Depends on the marker eggs.  Presumably the cops that stopped you confirmed there was one and confirmed your id:  they should get back to the officer originating the marker and let them know so that they can have it removed.

The above applies if was a marker relating to specific information; 'no insurance', 'no MOT' etc are down to DVLA.

If you're concerned I can only suggest finding a Police Station with a front desk in a week or two and asking - take ID and proof of ownership with you

2 hours ago, eggsarascal said:

Anyone know what happens if I’ve bought a vehicle with a police marker on it, does it get removed when there is a new registered owner, or is the vehicle stuck with the marker? I only ask as I’ve just bought a van and got a pull in it about 10 minutes later because it’s on the police radar, I’m not overly bothered because I’ve bought it to sell on. I did ask the copper who looked about 12, but he didn’t know the answer. 

As above you'll need to dig into it and ask for removal and in meantime ask them a temp solution. Some forces use a simple band of duct tape etc on side of number plate as a signal that you are aware it's got a mark and will avoid a hard stop unless you doing something stupid. (This happened to my nephew got hard stopped by 4 cars before he knew it was incorrectly marked)

On 03/06/2024 at 14:21, nepia said:

Depends on the marker eggs.  Presumably the cops that stopped you confirmed there was one and confirmed your id:  they should get back to the officer originating the marker and let them know so that they can have it removed.

The above applies if was a marker relating to specific information; 'no insurance', 'no MOT' etc are down to DVLA.

If you're concerned I can only suggest finding a Police Station with a front desk in a week or two and asking - take ID and proof of ownership with you

yes he checked me out, all good. He said the van had been involved in an incident, but wouldn’t, couldn’t clarify it. It’s for sale, just didn’t want to pile a load of hassle on someone else.