Wanted: small forestry winch

15 minutes ago, billpierce said:

Where abouts are you and whatnsprt of money would it be? Thanks

Far south west Wales .

No idea money wise.

I haven't needed it since i got the Log Bullet.

Give us a tinkle 07966792798

Knowles winching2.jpg

Edited by slack ma girdle

I'd also welcome and advise on winch size etc. Some folk say a 5.5t would be fine on a 50hp if on 540rpm? I have no idea, the spec plate of an igland 55a says 60 to 95hp which suggests no no

With most Winches you don't need a lot of horse power. As you don't need a lot of power to turn the input shaft. The gearing on power train and the drum do the rest. 

Most Winches use the cable drum as a gear so when you have all the cable off the drum you get maximum pull.

50hp would be on the low end for a 5 tonne winch I think a fransgard might be lower in hp than igland. It's most likely to do with the linkage size and the weight of the machine as much horse power requirement. My 6,5 has always run on 100 to 115hp but I doubt it's ever used that much. However the fact that it's about a tonne before you load up the butt plate with logs.

• Like 1

I put a 5 tonne on the 84HP DB1490, sometimes I imagine a slightly larger winch would have been a better fit, but even running 3 chokers, I can load the butt plate sufficient to have the tractor struggling to pull the load in a reasonable gear or struggling for traction, with the front end airborne bytimes. Plus the 5 tonne winch can easily stall the tired 84HP when sitting at  engine rpms of 1000/1100.  

Horses for courses, within reason.

• Like 1