That old chestnut, "what saw?"

difflock

4 hours ago, difflock said:

Me, I like light.

Even it it takes a tad longer to do the same cutting.

Now this is where porting comes into its own . You get light but not the tad longer to do the same cutting ...

• Like 1

On 12/05/2024 at 14:02, difflock said:

But since the 261 is now running a narrow(er) kerf 325 chain, how much does that less-wood-removed offset or compensate for its .5Kw lower power than the 362.

I have converted my 261 to narrow kerf, it definitely cuts faster. I haven't done timed cuts or anything but my impression on small stuff up to say 12 or 14" it's as quick as the 400, and a bit lighter so easier to use. Once the wood gets bigger then I think 3/8 chain clears chips better and the 400 would win.

Sounds like you should go 261, I think it's well balanced with 16" bar.

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Dan Maynard said:

I have converted my 261 to narrow kerf, it definitely cuts faster. I haven't done timed cuts or anything but my impression on small stuff up to say 12 or 14" it's as quick as the 400, and a bit lighter so easier to use. Once the wood gets bigger then I think 3/8 chain clears chips better and the 400 would win.

Sounds like you should go 261, I think it's well balanced with 16" bar.

Good analysis, and on small stuff I'd say it may actually be faster, certainly seems that way. The acid test would be to put a larger chain on it, and see how it performs. That would be interesting. Don't think I have anything in the shed which would be a straight swap. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/05/2024 at 19:39, Stubby said:

Stihl MS 400 or Husqvarna 562xp . Take the rakers down a tad more if only cutting soft wood .  

LOGSANDSAWS.CO.UK

the husqvarna 372xp is a great professional saw for all Round use, from the forest to land owners. Comes with a 20”bar and chain as...

What Stubby said or the link above. Suprisingly light for a 70cc, old school imported. Had countless gallons through mine in 4-5 foot Sitka and doesn’t miss a beat. 

Probably wouldn’t cut as fast as a fresh 562 as there’s probably 20 odd years between the two. 

562 is a great saw to use probably the best I’ve had so far but they are defos not the strongest unfortunately. 

372 20 inch light bar and it will be perfect. 

353 on there is a really nice saw, I hammer mine in brashing big pappy Spruce with a 15 inch bar on and it is torquey.  Like a feather too. 

Edited by Donnie
  • Like 2