Math help again. Trying to work how my production

edit: problem solved. I wasn’t taking into account air space in loose filled bags. 

Hi all,

I’m trying to work out if I’m managing to bag a cord a day. The internet says that a loose stacked cord takes up 6m3. My barrow bags are 0.45x0.45x0.91m=0.18m3

6m3/0.18m3=33 ish bags. Is this right?
That means I’m only managing to bag 1/2 a cord a day when splitting and bagging directly. Seems very slow for a 6 hour day on the splitter. I think I was faster with my fsk splitter. 

Edited by Just_me
Error

It's not vocabulary police, the Americans especially buy cordwood that's stacked and has very little air gaps.

Whilst it's a nice measure of the timber if it's all straight and consistent.

UK firewood isn't, some people just chuck it loose in a bag and they get next to nothing, others like me treat it like Tetris so it stands up and won't flop over.

If it's very loose you're maths is going to be a little out in bag numbers for a start.

Edited by GarethM
  • Like 1

One of those great firewood measures, loose stacked while not grammatically correct is used, same as a 'load', 'Tonne Bag', 'Builders bag', if you are selling it and the customers don't come back then the measure / price is all wrong.

However on the drive with fresh cut logs it is tightly tacked together, very little movement, when it is ready to burn the stack has a lot more movement, the logs are more loose... loosely stacked

Edited by Steven P
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Stere said:

Loose stacked IS grammatically correct, no idea why people keep saying it’s not. Dictionaries are available online. 

anyway back on track…..I went and emptied a bag full of loose stacked split firewood. Stacked it tightly on the ground and measured the volume. It came to 0.16m3. Which is more than I thought tbh given the bag measures 0.18m3. 

Which means in theory, I need 255 bags. However, given I’m at bag 140 and it feels I’m not halfway through the pile, I’m estimating at least 325 bags. But I’ll see in a few weeks once it’s done. 

However,

in answer to my original question. The forest master is so so slow (circa 30 seconds a log) I am indeed only managing less then half a cord in 6 hours and still in agony due to all the bending and twisting. So I’m going to do a day with the fiskars splitting by hand to see how I go. I’m sure I’ve managed more than a cord a day with the fiskars. Fingers crossed.