Stihl MS 180 won't start.

RegB

I've got an old MS021 (IIRC) which is quite nice, it's been used a fair bit. The reason for wanting this other one working is really just to have a second option. I also notice that there are various cylinders with pistonas available from ChinaChinaChina dirt cheap.

Yup, seized and, unless you want to do all the work yourself and a self help/learning project then it isn't really worth repairing. 

The cylinder will be Nikasil and may well be salvageable...lots about this on my "whats on your bench" thread and then fit a Meteor or Hyway piston if you can get either but use the original circlips. 

You are probably right on the straight fuel but if the saw has had lots of use, you may have an air leak, split manifold, dodgy seals, split fuel line etc.

A decent tech would run through the lot and set the saw up so it doesn't go pop again.....that sorts out the pros from the boys!!

The pictures show a typical lubrication breakdown for all the reasons that have been given, piston scuffed between the exhaust port and the transpher port opposite side to the flywheel, this is the hotest part of the cylinder.

I'll take it to bits and have a look then. I like doing that sort of thing. They don't seem to be very highly tuned engines.Anything to watch for, or is it better in the "What's on your bench today" thread? I've never taken a chainsaw engine apart. Should be fun.

Put it back together, give it a clean up take a few decent pics and sell it on the bay as spares or repair.......you will get £50-£80 for it easy. Unless you really want to take it apart and money isn't an issue?

As a project, you might be able to pick up a spares or repair model and mix and match them together - some spares or repair are "can't be bothered with it", you might get lucky (I have 2 hedge trimmers, both spares or repair, both worked well (one doesn't now since I rebuilt it -  a winter project) ).

Not sure it is worth a lot spent on new parts but is nice to get something working again.