Using a Stihl 2 in 1 file has the rakers set too low

KeenButGreen

Mixed feedback on the 2 in 1, some people love them and some hate them. 

It doesnt look like you have a Stihl chain, apologise if it is, but I know that they dont work so well on other branded chains from customer feedback which is that they take the rakers down too much. 

I have never used one myself so im not sure if too much downward pressure would cause the issue but I imagine that it would.

The other thing that has just occurred to me is that if the chain needs a good grind back then once the first tooth is taken back quite a bit it may be lowering the flat file a bit too much while sharpening the second tooth. If that makes any sense.

19 hours ago, Mark_Skyland said:

Mixed feedback on the 2 in 1, some people love them and some hate them. 

It doesnt look like you have a Stihl chain, apologise if it is, but I know that they dont work so well on other branded chains from customer feedback which is that they take the rakers down too much. 

I have never used one myself so im not sure if too much downward pressure would cause the issue but I imagine that it would.

The other thing that has just occurred to me is that if the chain needs a good grind back then once the first tooth is taken back quite a bit it may be lowering the flat file a bit too much while sharpening the second tooth. If that makes any sense.

I have one in the truck mark well two  , contrary to the guys above I find it a very handy tool to have, my eyes are not what they where and 30 + years ago when I learnt to sharpen a saw ..and I’ll be honest I’ve found in the last 5 I’ve struggled sharpening heavily damaged chains and to keep an eye on my dominant hand in check,

I’ve found this a pretty handy tool to use if I hit a rock and the chain is knacked… I will still free hand file most chains but the 1/4 pitch little echo is a nightmare and just looks a blur to me and the bigger bars are nice to have a go over every 2-3 sharpens to keep them cutting straight and it saves time rather than having to do the rakers separately. 

• Like 2

Thanks all

The rakers should be at .65 and they’re around .9.  I might be able to file the top plate down but it’s a hell a lot of filing.  

so I bought a new chain and will keep this one for cross cutting as it’s kinda brilliant at getting through firewood logs. The new one I’ll use for sketchy stuff like boring and anywhere there’s a chance of kickback. 

can anyone enlighten me on how to get the raker file out of the 2in1?  It looks like it’s glued in place

32 minutes ago, KeenButGreen said:

Thanks all

The rakers should be at .65 and they’re around .9.  I might be able to file the top plate down but it’s a hell a lot of filing.  

so I bought a new chain and will keep this one for cross cutting as it’s kinda brilliant at getting through firewood logs. The new one I’ll use for sketchy stuff like boring and anywhere there’s a chance of kickback. 

can anyone enlighten me on how to get the raker file out of the 2in1?  It looks like it’s glued in place

It should just slide out if you open the end cap…. Definitely not glued as they are replaceable. 

• Like 1

On 03/05/2024 at 21:36, KeenButGreen said:

Thanks all

I initially had a similar issue - getting carried away with the 2in1. 

I have found what works best for me is to use a round file in the holder for two sharpens

SKYLANDEQUIPMENT.COM

The Stihl file holder comes with the correct depth and angles to make life that little easier when sharpening your chainsaw chain. This is particularly good for the small 3.2mm chain as...

then every 3rd sharpen I use the 2in1 to take the rakers down - keeps it all sweet !

For the sake of £10 - give it a go and see how you get on - it's just trial and error till you find something that works for you and gives consistent results.

Practice, practice, practice !

• Like 1