go back in time

dodger

if you could go back in time , would you have a career change, i been doing tree work for 35 to 40 years now and have seen many changes most are for the good in health and safety for the blokes and new ropes, chainsaws ect, but when you put you egg in one basket and you get older its differcult to have a career change if one wants too. tree work is a hard game in all weathers and its hard work too. can you see yourself doing tree work when your in your 50s and 60s. do you want to or have you other plans for your future.

when i left school i had no idea what to do but liked cars n engines so got qualified as a motor vehicle technician, if id have gone into trees earlier i'd probably not be able to maintain my own machinery now so im pretty happy with the order i've accidently done things in..as for the future -who knows? no plans yet..

i am 34 been doing logs since i was a kid with my dad and my own tree business since 1999, i always chop and change my kit, types of work i chase and projects to do with work, if i dont i get bored. In the last 5 years i have become a dad so that is my main focus so i have puled back on trying bigger jobs and working further afield. I was wanting out but now i have things more organised i love my work and life, if you can run both well together then its good. I want to be in a position to offer my boys work if they want it when they are old enough, if they want to go to university or be hairdressers i will support them all the way, but they will know how to appreciate hard work and how to split logs thats for sure lol. If you learn by your mistakes and are willing to adapt to change, and obviously keep fit and look after yourself then should think i will be doing this all my days. My dad has and he is 65 now, recovering from a heart attack in the new year, but walking up the yard and splitting logs and pottering about keeps him motivated and if he hadnt been so fit and healthy he wouldnt of made it last month..

if you could go back in time , would you have a career change, i been doing tree work for 35 to 40 years now and have seen many changes most are for the good in health and safety for the blokes and new ropes, chainsaws ect, but when you put you egg in one basket and you get older its differcult to have a career change if one wants too. tree work is a hard game in all weathers and its hard work too. can you see yourself doing tree work when your in your 50s and 60s. do you want to or have you other plans for your future.

I would only wish to have begun my education ten years ago so that I would be ready for the research roles I now seek, but have to do ten years training to do them! I want out of the climbing within three years, 40 then, and I stated at 17 this would be my cut off, I still enjoy it but I dont want to gradualy lose it, im quitting while I am at my peak.

i am 34 been doing logs since i was a kid with my dad and my own tree business since 1999, i always chop and change my kit, types of work i chase and projects to do with work, if i dont i get bored. In the last 5 years i have become a dad so that is my main focus so i have puled back on trying bigger jobs and working further afield. I was wanting out but now i have things more organised i love my work and life, if you can run both well together then its good. I want to be in a position to offer my boys work if they want it when they are old enough, if they want to go to university or be hairdressers i will support them all the way, but they will know how to appreciate hard work and how to split logs thats for sure lol. If you learn by your mistakes and are willing to adapt to change, and obviously keep fit and look after yourself then should think i will be doing this all my days. My dad has and he is 65 now, recovering from a heart attack in the new year, but walking up the yard and splitting logs and pottering about keeps him motivated and if he hadnt been so fit and healthy he wouldnt of made it last month..

very well said and i totally agree :thumbup1:

The only thing i woud change is I would have got into the job far younger, tried as I might I couldnt get into the Forestry Commission so messed about doing other stuff. "Arb" work wasnt really around as we knew it, though we did have a successful tree cutting co locally. I did conservation work at 19 for a couple of years, but then went on to other work.

The one thing i would change would be setting my company up earlier. When i worked for other companies (employed) you were expected to graft stupidly hard, pick up the biggest size logs you could, work till dusk, 5 days a week. Now i don't need to work 5 days a week, just plod along doing my own thing not trying to be the biggest company around. So thats what id change