Natural crotch Rigging Rope

JBH

I love my Marlow Nelson but the Loler inspector refuses to inspect it.

Is there a cheap rope suited to the task, that doesn't provoke the same horror as 3 strand?

New rope or new inspector?

8 minutes ago, JBH said:

I love my Marlow Nelson but the Loler inspector refuses to inspect it.

Is there a cheap rope suited to the task, that doesn't provoke the same horror as 3 strand?

New rope or new inspector?

What do you use it for?

Lowering off?

Edited by Botty Cough

I'm a LEEA qualified inspector of lifting equipment to LOLER, but not specifically arb gear (usually catenary cableways, wire ropes, shackles etc etc)

Has the guy stated why he will not inspect the rope? 

I sispect it is not the lay of the rope which is the issue, but the material (ie polyprop if I am right)

They stated that I should not go down the road of using dated tech, the rope is prone to excessive fraying, low abrasion resistance (contrary to Marlows own claims),  and lower MBS than double braid.

I respect the inspector and that they can only sign off what they're comfortable with.

I am not negative rigging large sections of timber on this, just using it to strip out trees when appropriate.

Seems like it is a knee jerk reaction usually from an industry weened onto the shiney things.

I am not a luddite, I rig with fancier stuff when needed. Just didn't know if there was a UK equivalent of true blue or the like that people have found cheap and cheerful in natural crotch rigging.

20231211_111431.jpg

• Like 2

I use polypropylene three strand for lighter rigging.

Low abrasion, no glazing, light and cheap.

Its insane that it’s not ok.

I have no idea what that knot is btw. 

Edited by Mick Dempsey
  • Like 1

TBH I understand both perspectives but, having thought about this whilst walking the dog, am probably in agreement with your inspector.  Polyprop is old tech, and perhaps of greater relevance is very difficult to age which therefore makes it difficult to assess for UV etc.  It also (usually) does not come with a marked swl which is required for LOLER, though most do have a MBL on their datasheets.

I wondered about suggesting that if it is so cheap then you could consider replacing it every six months, but then thought that is maybe acknowledging the deficiencies.

The topic has previously been discussed at length elsewhere.  For example:

FORUM.IOSH.CO.UK

Posted By Jon Thompson On our construction sites Polypropylene rope (typically 12mm & 16mm) is used to lift...

Edited by waterbuoy

Problem is any rope used for natural crotch rigging is going to glaze or fray very quickly if loaded up, It’s gotta be cheap but the rope in your photo looks like it’s hemp ?? Or fecked anyway… don’t do much natural crotch rigging personally but if I do it’s usually on a retired line as I know it won’t fair well. 

25 minutes ago, Mick Dempsey said:

I have no idea what that knot is btw. 

Can't say I've seen it either.

I have only been taught timber hitch and that was a very long time ago. Only ever used it for lowering off.

Could be a highwayman ...

Edited by Botty Cough