Replacing an established Leylandii hedge?

Kia

I recently bought a house with a very established leylandii hedge planted about 1982, the hedge has got wider and wider over the years, and now is really needs to be removed. the trees were planted about 4 to 5 feet apart and the stumps will be about 8 to 10 inches in diameter..

I would like to replace it with Griselina. 

What size plant establishes its self the quickest, and how far apart would i need to plant for a 5ft high hedge?

All advice greatly appreciated..

2 minutes ago, Kia said:

I recently bought a house with a very established leylandii hedge planted about 1982, the hedge has got wider and wider over the years, and now is really needs to be removed. the trees were planted about 4 to 5 feet apart and the stumps will be about 8 to 10 inches in diameter..

I would like to replace it with Griselina. 

What size plant establishes its self the quickest, and how far apart would i need to plant for a 5ft high hedge?

All advice greatly appreciated..

Depends on where you live and the required boundary screen.

It will establish if you square plant 12" apart very quickly but you will need to keep the height down so it remains as a screen to floor level and let it thicken up before height is achieved.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Stere said:

Small ones 2ft

Don't like Griselina much its abit "tacky new build generic"

Oh but it does have it's place.

Just because it's popular like Leylandii is doesn't mean it isn't good cover.

I like it. Brighter than fir tree , easier to bash into shape and great for the birds.

11 minutes ago, Botty Cough said:

Depends on where you live and the required boundary screen.

It will establish if you square plant 12" apart very quickly but you will need to keep the height down so it remains as a screen to floor level and let it thicken up before height is achieved.

Thank you for the reply, what is square plant 12", is this meaning plant 12" apart?

I live on a top of hill near the coast, and the salt has eventually got to the leylandii, I was recommended to plant the Griselina.. the hedge is going to be about 5ft max when established..

2 minutes ago, Kia said:

Thank you for the reply, what is square plant 12", is this meaning plant 12" apart?

I live on a top of hill near the coast, and the salt has eventually got to the leylandii, I was recommended to plant the Griselina.. the hedge is going to be about 5ft max when established..

Yes plant them in a bax about 12" apart like two rows.

It will be fine for salty condition.

5ft will be easy but remember to formulative prune it during early growth using snips not powered trimmers.

It will be ideal and take 2-3 years if you start with 2ft plants

• Like 1

Consider olearia for hedges next to the sea. I've seen successful olearia hedges on Inishboffin, way out on the wild Atlantic. 

FUTUREFORESTS.IE

A large, bushy evergreen shrub with grey-silver foliage. It is many a coastal dwelling that is protected...

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, peds said:

Consider olearia for hedges next to the sea. I've seen successful olearia hedges on Inishboffin, way out on the wild Atlantic. 

FUTUREFORESTS.IE

A large, bushy evergreen shrub with grey-silver foliage. It is many a coastal dwelling that is protected...

That stuff is ok .

Personally I prefer the gloss of the griselina leaf . It stays glossy all year round even during salty west wind bashing.