NPTC refreshing

I’ve just had this with some old utility arb tickets of mine that had expired. From what the assessors were saying, the tickets don’t “expire” but you have to show you have some some form of CPD every 3/5 years to show you are keeping “up-to-date”

Basically nonsense, but I guess from a legal stance if you’ve not done a refresher in 5 years it may be an issue?

My understanding is that the Utility quals. do expire after 3 years (but this appears to show on the NPTC card rather than certificate) the general NPTC quals. don't expire BUT, as a professional user, there is a requirement for refresher training every 5 years (as per HSE indg 317 & AFAG/FISA 805 Training & Certification guidance.)

Hence Lantra offer a full suite of refresher training courses and, recently, C&Gs / NPTC have started to offer 'CPD Units' as a refresher option, in effect.

As far as the Approved Contractor Scheme is concerned we will acknowledge 'up-skilling' as adequate refresher training, i.e. small - medium - large tree felling OR chainsaw in tree - aerial tree rigging etc., but some utility & commercial clients don't accept the same.

In an ideal world, on an individual basis, operators should be subject to a skills analysis exercise and any problems / opportunities identified and refresher training tailored. 

Hope this to be of help.

Cheers.
Paul  

• Thanks 1

So legally it's advisory?

Seems like just guidance to me from what I can read.

My ute tickets have expired but I don't intend to do any of that malarkey anyway...

I guess I'll see how my new employer takes up what I've presented lol.

2 hours ago, Botty Cough said:

If it's advisory then surely it's not a legal requirement if the qualifications are for life..….?

It depends what work you are doing. Rail/Utility/any Forestry England site, Natural England, most charities like RSPB/National Trust/Woodland Trust etc or any site signed up with FISA, Arb approved companies, will require compulsory refresher training or you won’t be on site.

Outside of these and domestics, refreshers are advisory. 
In my experience, the ones who gob off about not needing refreshers are usually the ones who need them the most. 

Edited by 5thelement
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, 5thelement said:

It depends what work you are doing. Rail/Utility/any Forestry England site, Natural England, most charities like RSPB/National Trust/Woodland Trust etc or any site signed up with FISA, Arb approved companies, will require compulsory refresher training or you won’t be on site.

Outside of these and domestics, refreshers are advisory. 
In my experience, the ones who gob off about not needing refreshers are usually the ones who need them the most. 

Refreshing ones knowledge is a daily occurrence for regular cutters.

We all like to keep up to date with new equipment and rules so I just think paying for the luxury seems like money for old rope.

After all the job doesn't change just the way the rules are to keep money coming in for the trainers ....

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Botty Cough said:

Refreshing ones knowledge is a daily occurrence for regular cutters.

We all like to keep up to date with new equipment and rules so I just think paying for the luxury seems like money for old rope.

After all the job doesn't change just the way the rules are to keep money coming in for the trainers ....

Getting sloppy and falling into bad habits is another common occurrence for regular cutters. 
If you don’t want to do any refreshers don’t, no one is forcing you. 

16 hours ago, 5thelement said:

Getting sloppy and falling into bad habits is another common occurrence for regular cutters. 
If you don’t want to do any refreshers don’t, no one is forcing you. 

True but lazy cutters that don't keep up with new kit and rules are rare in my experience.

I certainly will not be paying for training and will continue to work.

Like you say it's an advisory not a copulsary requirement.