Areal rescue

Tony Croft aka hamadryad

On big trees I climb an access line then use a seperate working line to work from. We usually leave a set of kongs clipped to the access line. I have done the first aid at work ticket twice now and 2 of my workmates also have it.

I have a couple of extra bits and bobs in my kit bag specificly for rescue.

I agree with the above comments that more emphasis should be put on being prepared to get yourself down if you have an accident. Im defiantly guilty of working some trees with a rope thats to short. However i always set myself up nicely on the spikes by choking my climbing line to the stem.

The most common room for improvement in safety I see in others climbing is the way they attach there lifeline to the stem when spiking.

I have never practised Ariel rescue but I am confidant I could perform one. Im also confidant my workmates would get me down If I messed up.

Some locations in trees/ hedges would be nearly impossible to rescue from. Climbers should be aware of this and perhaps go a bit steady when in these locations.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great stuff guys, all helpfull and big up David for the most excelant and tidy (efficient) setting up of all ropes, sundries etc.

I agree fully with the view that self reliance/rescue is the truth of it all, but we all know it isnt always going to be the case, and it is then, that this will matter and maybe the difference to you going home to your wife and children...... or not.

David, a most exclelant point on having a tick box for the second line on the R/A

Did anyone read the HSE rigging research paper and has anyone started designating an RP and a CP within the team? do any of you use the rigging R/A form that was suggested in the research note?

and finaly, whoever suggested the phone with reception and credit checked van keys and rescue/first aid kit in one designated area, exclelant point.

I reckon I have some good pointers to establish a comprehensive view of the situation, thanks guys, but keep posting, its all good.

common sense and discipline, this is when molly coddliling newbie ground workers doesnt help, old school swearing and punishments for stupid behaviour and carelessness keeps things safe. A scared worker is a safe worker:sneaky2::lol:

:bluboomteamenforcer

i aint kidding!!!!

How hard is it or would it be to put all that (address, RA, Method statement, blah blah blah) in a waterproof folder slap bang next to the first aid kit and a fully charged (and credited) mobile phone in a convienient spot on the work site, easily accessible to any members of the work team?????

The answer is: about as much work as it is to decide where to put your flask to pour yourself a cup of tea.

Exactly. :001_cool:

How about this scenario. 3 person team, all qualified in aerial rescue but only two climb on a regular basis. Rarely practice aerial rescue. How would you feel if you are left on site with the person that doesn't climb? HSE require that there is at least one aerial rescuer but what about competence?

Just to add my not very experienced bit- Ive been on jobs as a groundie with no 38 and looking back on it now its a horrible thought to think that if something happend and he couldnt get down and that would then be on my concionce. I will add that this has been a rare occurance but still.

Also the simplist of things said above- my phone is all creditd as on contract but signal no one knows like said until lunch, knwing 100% you have a sufficently full first aid kit, not knowing your property and even sometimes ive been a job and not known what village we are in. After reading this thread its shed so much light on the fact not to have an unqualified arieal rescuer or first aider.

I know a could get shot down from this post but thought I would be honest.

i totalally agree with huck and pete, you need to be able to get yourself down or your stuffed.

On a slight tangent to franks post, how often do you check you have mobile reception on your sites? i often work out in the sticks and generally someone has reception, but we don't find this out till a break or lunch. what if there wasn't any?

Also truck keys, how many people jump up with them still in their pocket? Wheres the RA, first aid, spare kit, mobile.........in the truck.

Thats what I'm saying, dont leave it all in the truck, place it somewhere obvious.

I'm sure there is a 3 digit emergency number that uses any available network??? Cant think what it is now.