Passed my CS30, failed CS31

Omniata

whats made you want to do arb work out of intrest?

Sick and tired of being confined to a desk in a room with no windows is part of it...

Really want to get back outside too, trees are a necessity as well, without them we can't breathe...

The idea of forestry management too, unfortunately there doesn't seem to be enough done to manage it effectively...

I see a lot of cowboys doing things wrong too, I want to try and help to get things done right...

I hate to say this, but i feel your diabetes may possibly hold you back in this job, just as many other disabities can. I hope for your sake that it doesnt, but it is a tough demanding job even when you are in the peak of physical fitness.

And that's something I want to try and prove wrong, I really am ******* sick of being stopped from doing things by diabetes, and I'm sick to the same extent of being sat behind a desk...

I'm hoping after a few years grafting I can start drifting into forestry when/if the opportunity arises and just get on with it...

Edited by Omniata

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Omniata don 't listen to negatitive comments on this thread. Everyone on here acts like they have never failed anything and are experts in arb work.

Yeah you need to be strong and fit to do this work.but learn to use your head to make jobs easier. methodical. you build up the strength as you years go buy and even the best of tree workers still get tired after spending 8 hrs up a tree.

Go practice felling stems and go sit it again. good luck

I could have done more if I'd been allowed to take the breaks I "needed" as opposed to "wanted". I'd quite happily work all day but if I do that I'll end up in A&E in a coma from running my blood sugar to zero...

Diabetes isn't a "walk in the park", you have to manage it, sensibly...

I may have to work harder to get further, but with all due respect if I don't eat or drink lucozade when my body requires it I might as well be sat in a wheelchair with no arms and no legs...

I know Diabetes is not a "Walk in the park" as i said in my previous post, My father has it and injects hisself daily so know quite abit about it. If that was me in your position i would have glucose tablets on me at all times or a drink of lucozade with me and made my own decission to take a break regardless of an assessment or not.

When i said i think the courses a easier was general to everyone and was my opinion and gives people a false sense of the industry (again only my opinion).

Have fun and be safe:001_smile:

HI There

I really hope you pass your 31 soon . Keep your determination and don't be put off you will get there in the end if you want it bad enough . I did my 31 a while ago and it was not easy I did 2 felling courses and worked my sox off practicing on logs and got loads of Small fells before I was ready to do my assessment .

With these short courses its very hard to be ready for testing only after a few days of doing these cuts, for some the skills can come very quick but for others it can take a good while as with myself . I did my assessments in 2 parts so it was not to much all in one go on the day .

My assesor was really nice and was happy if i needed to stop for any reason I just had to let him know .

This job does require a good level of fitness if you are planning on doing this job full time as a groundy as if you are working for a company you will have to drag brash and stuff a chipper use there 460s and load heavy old logs on to the back of a 7.5 ton this cycle goes on all day long every day .

I really wish you all the best

and good luck .

Littletree:biggrin:

With out wanting to sound harsh it sounds like you are not physically fit enough to do this job at this moment in time. I think you should be able to fell with whatever saw your given, in principle there all the same afterall. If you were tired maybe your saw control wasnt great in which case came across as dangerous hence why you failed.

If your struggling to fell a couple trees mate, id get some exercise and stuff in before your next assesment. Like i say, not meaning to put you down mate, just my input...

hey bud, I'm just doing my training for cs30 and cs31 at the moment an d have just passed my cs38. im doing a full time coarse so getting loads of training. I'm 99 % shore that u dont need to do a danish pie cut for npct, just to much like hard work on ur part just keep it simple and use spilt level. next time u can get some trees to fell, do it as high up the butt as it is safe to do so, then afterwards practice ur cuts on what left on the standing stem, hope this helps and good luck.