Jonsered safety interlock - can u help?

purple badger

That's really impressive. Going from nothing to producing a piece of working kit in 3 days is brilliant. 👍

I can see 3D printing being the future for part suppliers, no need to wait for something to come into stock an get shipped, pay and download a file then print it out.

Would it be possible to 3D print something like say a fuel tank or a chain brake handle?

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Mark_Skyland said:

That's really impressive. Going from nothing to producing a piece of working kit in 3 days is brilliant. 👍

I can see 3D printing being the future for part suppliers, no need to wait for something to come into stock an get shipped, pay and download a file then print it out.

Would it be possible to 3D print something like say a fuel tank or a chain brake handle?

Yeah it changes the way you think about things for sure - once suppliers get their heads around the tech it will be the way it's done, I mean that 3d printer was only £179 a few years ago. It paid for itself in a couple of weeks and it was a Xmas present - what more could you want! 

Chain brake definitely - one of the lads broke one and had him up and running the next day (although replaced now with a 'proper' part when it came in stock). Fuel tank ... there's flammable fuel safety issues there so I wouldn't do it, but no reason a manufacturer couldn't. Frankly after a few years I'm sold on the whole 3d printing idea and I'm now looking at a metal printer (£1k+) to do custom engine parts as it should pay for itself fairy quickly.

23 minutes ago, Steve Bullman said:

Only an 8 out of 10 for me sorry….wrong colour 

Love it - white PLA is the cheapest for prototypes, but comes in any colour you want mate, even 'unicorn rainbow' 😂

Edited by purple badger
  • Like 2

So I had a few minutes today to fab up a rough spring and test the prototype part 

IMG_20240126_185455.thumb.jpg.c6fc18e0711cbbf189214152f7a6d002.jpg

I think the spring fits like this

IMG_20240126_185520.thumb.jpg.4063548bd1376cd190883c82da4fe022.jpg

I then used a nail as the main pin and (spoiler alert if you don't want to watch the vid) it seems to work like it should.

So I splashed out on a whole 17p and printed the proper part in black PET-G which I'll fit tomorrow. 

IMG_20240126_155218.thumb.jpg.7319a1757e11fb9ac0679b6658d55b23.jpg

• Like 6

22 minutes ago, spudulike said:

Nice job.....but I think those gloves have seen better days!!

Those 630s are decent machines, well built and solid construction. Should last you a fair while.

Guys here thought I was mad going for something that old, but then I've been running the 041 since new. Also like I said to them I loved those 630s when I got to use them and the new saws don't have any decent heft to them - it sort of feels wrong and flimsy! Besides all I need it for now is some logging and a bit of clearance now and again... It's not like I'm a pro using it day in and out. Still... It is probably madness and I should have forked out on something newer!

Yeah those are my favourite gloves - got a new pair before Xmas but it's like having balloons on your hands, you can't feel anything! So still using the old ones. (If anyone has any recommendations for decent hard wearing work gloves you can feel stuff though then don't be shy, please let me know!)

Edited by purple badger

13 hours ago, spudulike said:

Nice job.....but I think those gloves have seen better days!!

I've got some like that it's so you can still use a smart phone🙃Nice piece of printing, makes the saw whole again.

• Haha 1

So I fabbed up some hardware today - stuck with the old spring as it worked, just tempered it to keep it springy (got it glowing cherry red under a blowtorch and then dunked it in water)

IMG_20240127_114342.thumb.jpg.1013fad107fb61152bba544d6a9b965c.jpg

And then fitted everything together - almost impossible to tell it's not the original!

IMG_20240127_121421.thumb.jpg.1ece0df8169b3701f1284fc4fc8d3403.jpg

Quick test and it works as it should!

So thanks to everyone and @adw in particular, who really went above and beyond helping with this project - without you mate this would never have been possible. That's now one jonsered 630 made whole again!

IMG_20240127_121322.thumb.jpg.8cb5f45553ab86e8c42a5acea27f755e.jpg

I'll get the 3d printed file up on thingiverse or whatever when I get home and I'll post a link to it here so others can print the part if they need to - huge thank you guys, we've brought an obsolete part back from the grave and hopefully kept a few 625s, 630s and 670s going longer (maybe a few other models too - who knows!).

• Like 3

2 hours ago, roys said:

Great thread gents, I’m impressed and now want a 3D printer, don’t know CAD though so would have to be a learning curve my old brain would have to climb. 

Honestly if I can do it (and I remember the time before the internet, PCs, mobile phones etc) then anyone can - way I see it, every day's a school day and we've got more experience to take advantage of new tech. Also it's not a massive learning curve, the printers are cheap and the CAD software is free (fusion360), it's a no brainer if you're that way inclined.

Edited by purple badger
  • Like 1