Concerns about laying an older hedge

JaggyHawthorn

Question

We've got a ~60 metre stretch of hedge, predominantly Hawthorn, currently standing about 9 foot in height. Photos of the place from way back confirm that the hedge has a history of over-trimming (until the previous owners took over) and as you can see from the images below, it's a wee bit gappy and bare at ground level as a result, with clusters of fairly thick gnarly-looking trunks.

The hedge is otherwise healthy. I gave it a light trim when we moved in 3 years ago, and then left it alone. Sure enough, the May blossom was amazing in the Spring, and it's now lousy with berries, much to the delight of the birdies.

Having read up on hedge care (e.g. https://ptes.org/hedgerow/managing-hedgerows-top-tips/) it's now time for the hedge's next haircut. Our neighbour suggested having the hedge laid to fill in the gaps, and the more I've researched it, the more I've warmed to the idea. However, I'm a wee bit concerned that due to the age of the hedge the trunks might not be "juicy" enough to withstand the pleaching process. Should we maybe just fill in the spaces with new trees?

hawthorn-hedge-05.jpg

hawthorn-hedge-04.jpg

hawthorn-hedge-03.jpg

hawthorn-hedge-01.jpg

5 answers to this question

That would lay no bother, run of the mill stuff, to big is when your laying 12” diameter and 30’ tall trees to recreate a hedge, still possible but hard work.

If you lay it your self make sure you lay up hill, the head needs to be higher than the root (only slightly)

Where abouts in the country are you? There may well be someone local to you on here that can help.

Edited by Will C

Just make sure you get someone in that knows what they are doing, I’ve seen some horrendous hedge laying in the past. Some sell it as an extra service while some are nothing short of artists.

not an expert on hedge laying by any means but I believe when laying thicker stems there’s more likelihood of them snapping off when layed if not done right 

• Like 1

Happy New Year all, and many thanks for the reassurance. We're up in Lumphanan, north-east Scotland, and while I'm always happy to give it a go, this is definitely one for a professional.

Thanks again for the steer; I'll post the "after" pictures in due course.

• Like 1