We wish you a Merry Christmas

peds

Celebrating our first Christmas in our new house this year, we are expecting all three sets of grandparents for the big day, including my folks staying with us for a week. On the drive from Warwickshire to the west coast of Ireland two days ago, someone made the wrong decision and drove into my parents' car. The car is a right off, but both humans and both dogs were uninjured, as were the occupants of the two other cars, so things could have been a lot worse. The police on scene made it clear that one party of the three involved were responsible, so hopefully insurance shouldn't be a headache.

IMG-20231221-WA0001.thumb.jpg.6e7c48ed89f22a4f392a3849b74dba06.jpg

They usually split the drive to visit us over 2 days to make it easier, they are approaching 80 so you can't blame them. They put their time in over the decades, driving through the night and crossing Europe in a single push, so they are allowed to slow down a bit now. To save time before Christmas though, I'm waiting to board a flight to England so I can drive them over in their second car. Leaving at dawn tomorrow, six hours through Wales, 1410 sailing from Holyhead, another 4 hours across Ireland, and we should be back home by 10pm tomorrow. They've been living the high life in a Travelodge near Oswestry for the last two days, so they'll be glad for the change of scenery.

20231222_162020.thumb.jpg.3cedb6f1120304d264f1ee540120465a.jpg

Anyway it's not so bad, if the other car had hit 90cm further back then there'd be a hospital involved at least, and probably worse. So you can't complain. 

Merry Christmas one and all, hhope it all goes well.

• Like 11

17 minutes ago, peds said:

Well you have to really, we can't manage a goose and a ham between 8 of us. We'll need all the help we can get.

What are your plans? 

Already arrived at Mam’s in Northumberland mate, with a bit of help from Chris yesterday!

370 from Kent in 7.5 hours fully loaded with dogs and kids.

Outlaws arriving tomorrow so it’s all coming together!

• Like 4

7.5 hours is a big old push, at least with UK to Ireland you get a sit down on the ferry. 

When I lived in the Alps we'd usually do the drive from Chamonix to Dover/Cherbourg in 8-10 hours, which was an absolute doddle on deserted French motorways at night. 

• Like 1

To be fair, the traffic yesterday was as good as I’ve ever had it, apart from that shithole of a mess Dartford that cost us over an hour.

Just cracked a can, quick bit of wrapping, then start making a Jalfezi with the kids while Mam relaxes with a large G&T.

Cheers!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, peds said:

Celebrating our first Christmas in our new house this year, we are expecting all three sets of grandparents for the big day, including my folks staying with us for a week. On the drive from Warwickshire to the west coast of Ireland two days ago, someone made the wrong decision and drove into my parents' car. The car is a right off, but both humans and both dogs were uninjured, as were the occupants of the two other cars, so things could have been a lot worse. The police on scene made it clear that one party of the three involved were responsible, so hopefully insurance shouldn't be a headache.

IMG-20231221-WA0001.thumb.jpg.6e7c48ed89f22a4f392a3849b74dba06.jpg

They usually split the drive to visit us over 2 days to make it easier, they are approaching 80 so you can't blame them. They put their time in over the decades, driving through the night and crossing Europe in a single push, so they are allowed to slow down a bit now. To save time before Christmas though, I'm waiting to board a flight to England so I can drive them over in their second car. Leaving at dawn tomorrow, six hours through Wales, 1410 sailing from Holyhead, another 4 hours across Ireland, and we should be back home by 10pm tomorrow. They've been living the high life in a Travelodge near Oswestry for the last two days, so they'll be glad for the change of scenery.

20231222_162020.thumb.jpg.3cedb6f1120304d264f1ee540120465a.jpg

Anyway it's not so bad, if the other car had hit 90cm further back then there'd be a hospital involved at least, and probably worse. So you can't complain. 

Merry Christmas one and all, hhope it all goes well.

That’s a proper mission, go steady.

• Like 2