Smoke in the room, Stovax County 5 Wide

If you are going for a couple more details, if you can get something of the chimey installation above the roof perhaps with a bit of the surroundings in it - any nearby trees, where the roof line is and so on, and approximate height.

For the stove itself a reputable brand stove, should work well, if they were known to smoke there would be more questions and over a rane of fire heats. Just one check that the baffle plate is fitted properly - though your sweep would have fitted it as it should have been at leas once in the life of the stove but a quick ckeck only takes a couple of seconds.

Last question from me for now, it is a wide door stove, does it smoke into the room continuously or is it smoke dragged into the room as the door is opened and then nothing?

• 3 weeks later...

On 26/12/2023 at 22:28, Steven P said:

If you are going for a couple more details, if you can get something of the chimey installation above the roof perhaps with a bit of the surroundings in it - any nearby trees, where the roof line is and so on, and approximate height.

Thanks, I will get pictures on here very shortly :)

Just one check that the baffle plate is fitted properly - though your sweep would have fitted it as it should have been at leas once in the life of the stove but a quick ckeck only takes a couple of seconds.

I have checked this morning, using the manual. Both baffle plates are correctly fitted. I removed them, there was a small amount of ash sitting on them which i hoovered off and then replaced the baffles as per the manual 👍

Last question from me for now, it is a wide door stove, does it smoke into the room continuously or is it smoke dragged into the room as the door is opened and then nothing?

It is a fairly wide stove, it's the "Stovax County 5 WIDE" model. The smoke isn't being dragged into the room by the door opening, we crack open the door catch first then pause a moment then gently open door not too fast. The smoke starts either immediate coming into room, or sometimes after a second or two. Needless to say we keep the door open for as little time as possible, only sufficient to place the new log(s) in.

Whilst removing the baffle plates this morning, I looked up the flue and saw this flaky deposit (see pic). Is this enough to mess up flue performance?! Last swept summer 2023. Been burning most days since October.

image.thumb.png.9c95442e70a0811a720949b0f8cabff0.png

Edited by treeworld1203

20 minutes ago, treeworld1203 said:

Whilst removing the baffle plates this morning, I looked up the flue and saw this flaky deposit (see pic). Is this enough to mess up flue performance?! Last swept summer 2023. Been burning most days since October.

image.thumb.png.9c95442e70a0811a720949b0f8cabff0.png

Yes it could mess things up.  As smoke cools as it rises, the deposits will be way worse higher up or in the cowl.  Get one of those kits with flexible rods and a brush that you use with a power drill. Its always worth a try.

22 minutes ago, Muddy42 said:

As smoke cools as it rises, the deposits will be way worse higher up or in the cowl. 

Good point, I hadn't thought of that!

22 minutes ago, Muddy42 said:

Get one of those kits with flexible rods and a brush that you use with a power drill. Its always worth a try.

Do you (or others) sweep your own flues then?! I am intruiged!

20 minutes ago, treeworld1203 said:

Good point, I hadn't thought of that!

Do you (or others) sweep your own flues then?! I am intruiged!

Sweep mine my self once a year ( in the summer ) with conventional rods and brush . Get a similar amount of soot each time . My chimney has a very good draw on it .