Toyota Hilux Tipper Body manufacturers

Bocca

Hi all,

recently bought a Toyota Hilux. Ex Yorkshire Water so was in decent condition with low miles for its age. Plan was to get it converted to a tipper body. I got a quote back this morning from B L Searle who were recommended by several people on a previous thread. Came back at £6880 plus Vat. A lot more than the £5k I was expecting from similar responses. I understand in the last few years prices have gone through the roof so maybe that’s just the going rate now. But at that price it wouldn’t be worth it. Be better off buying a second truck with bigger capacity like a Transit Tipper or Avecco and keeping the Hilux as it is. 

Has anybody had a truck or arb body fitted recently? What was the price? 

Also if anybody has any recommendations for tipper body manufacturers in the North West that would also be helpful. 

cheers

Cheers @Mark Bolam

@Bocca I had my extra cab Hilux converted by Kirkland Commercials in Stoke on Trent, they were brilliant start to finish and really nice guys to boot. I asked for a few bits specifically, my conversion was £6k plus vat, I think they may do a slightly less bespoke one for £5600 plus vat.

Not a cheap option, but at least you get exactly what you want, where I live (Shropshire/welsh borders) a transit is pointless but I need to be able to carry a decent amount of chip, this ticks all the boxes for me. 

I would say, even if you got a flatbed transit the cost of the alloy planks alone to put a body on it would be a fair few £££, I was convinced I could get mine done for under £5k and Kirkland’s were one of the cheaper quotes I had…… 

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Bocca said:

Cheers @Mark Bolam and  @Treetom15. Seems that price is the going rate nowadays. Mines also a Hilux Extra Cab so your spec is basically what I’m after. It’s not a cheap option but shes only done 70k miles so I don’t mind spending the money if I can 5+ years out of her. 

What cubic capacity will it hold?

@Bocca I’m in the same position, mine has done good miles and if I can put another 100k on the clock it’s money well spent! Probably worth keeping hold of the tub from yours if you do convert it, I’ve stored mine as I figured it’s easier to sell an old truck if it’s complete.

@Mick Dempsey my back holds 4.2 cubic M, which by my workings will hold nearly 1.5 ton of chip (weight at 350kg a cube) I’ve had it properly full twice now and it’s a lot when you tip off! 

• Like 1