New billhooks manufacturing?

BigRon

35 minutes ago, organic guy said:

don't expect a modern billhook for £25 to keep an edge.

I don't see why not if the correct steel is used so much more is known about metallurgy now.

One of my billhooks, a standford severquick, is laminated. Some previous owner has hammered the back and it has split to show it.

In years gone by the big firms would forge weld two strips of iron or mild steel  with a thin strip of high carbon steel in between, this high carbon steel when hardened then tempered forms the cutting edge. They also supplied the laminated steel to smaller makers.

I have never owned a yorkshire bill hook but the long handled slashers we used when I started in forestry were that style.

I recently emailed Morris's and they confirmed winding the company up, I wanted a spar hook and very few  suppliers now seem to produce them so I have gone vintage through lack of options. Hedgelaying does not seem to have any lack of interest in the UK and the  wood craft movement is still strong so its a bit baffling really that more tools are not offered here

• Thanks 1

On 14/12/2023 at 11:48, openspaceman said:

I don't see why not if the correct steel is used so much more is known about metallurgy now.

One of my billhooks, a standford severquick, is laminated. Some previous owner has hammered the back and it has split to show it.

In years gone by the big firms would forge weld two strips of iron or mild steel  with a thin strip of high carbon steel in between, this high carbon steel when hardened then tempered forms the cutting edge. They also supplied the laminated steel to smaller makers.

I have never owned a yorkshire bill hook but the long handled slashers we used when I started in forestry were that style.

I agree that we have the ability to make brilliant steel but not for £25 .

• Like 1

WWW.WOODLANDCRAFTSUPPLIES.CO.UK

Woodland Craft Supplies Woodland Craft Supplies - Newtown Billhook - A Newtown pattern billhook, made to our exacting...

I believe they might be making other patterns too

Interesting any more info on who is making them?

I'd think yorkshire pattern would be popular , im not sure why there so popular apart from them looking "cool"

Extra weight compared to than most patterns and the double bit useful for stakes?

3 hours ago, Stere said:

Interesting any more info on who is making them?

I'd think yorkshire pattern would be popular , im not sure why there so popular apart from them looking "cool"

Extra weight compared to than most patterns and the double bit useful for stakes?

The straight blade if it reaches right to the end can be used to cut when restricted by another stem deeper on the hedge. 

Yorkshire pattern has supports running down the long handle so much leverage and stronger