milling books

carlos

‘The Conversion and Seasoning of Wood’ was published about 30 years ago but only has one chapter about milling. I’d still recommend it though. Lots of info about other topics though, such as drying characteristics of different timbers, different methods of seasoning, etc. I’ve a book of articles from the Fine Woodworking magazine which again are a bit dated, but still some good stuff about how to select trees for milling, how to mill different species to get the best results, etc. Can’t remember the title, but I’ll look it up.

Andrew

4 minutes ago, ucoulddoit said:

I’ve a book of articles from the Fine Woodworking magazine which again are a bit dated, but still some good stuff about how to select trees for milling, how to mill different species to get the best results, etc. Can’t remember the title, but I’ll look it up.

Andrew

‘Fine Woodworking on Wood and How to Dry It’ 41 articles, under £6 on Amazon.

Andrew

• Like 3

Here's a photo of the milling and drying books I've collected over the years including the two I mentioned before and the Malloff book Mark suggested. A lot of repetition, but each book has something unique, so they are all worthwhile having and I've learnt a lot from them over the years. With the exception of Malloff's book, all written for timber to be used by furniture makers, joinery work and wood working generally. But little or nothing really about timber for fencing, structural timber or grading timbers, nor for green oak framing timbers. They are very focused on producing high quality, defect free timber which I guess translates into high value?

There are several publications on the ASHS website as well.

1938877594_Millingbookscompressed.thumb.jpg.a74904237d310de99492cea5a65cddc0.jpg

Andrew

Edited by ucoulddoit
  • Like 1