layed off ???

hazzygawa

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cancel due to bad weather?!?

I've been working solid since I started 2 years ago. I always have a contingency plan i.e. I will always have a couple of jobs that can be carried out even in the worst cases. Done a day or two in blizzards.... January has been the coldest since 1987 not a day with +degrees average -11C (normal is -4C) coldest day at work -27C(!), dismantling a big birch. I would never compromice on safety, I'ts all down to using right equipment, clothes and so on...

Do show your boss that u have the right attitude and are willing to perform in any weather! And if youre not, dont complain, as a working relationship works both ways. Today has been -14C snow all day and consisted of thinning of small wood close to houses including dismantle of biggish birch an straight felling (climb and install winchwire) of 2 fir trees, 7 birches and various smaller rowans , birches and willows all snedded and cut up for the forwarder to come and pick up.:thumbup:

Good luck, and dont be afraid of aproaching your boss. If youre not happy with the situation, a friendly talk is the best way to adress the problem.

I had a talk about a few things today, about equipment, and was sent to the shop to spend som money...:biggrin:

If your contract does not specify that he can cancel you, he must offer you work or pay you 'statutory guarantee pay'.

However at twenty odd pounds you are better off taking it as holiday.

If you are taking it as holiday it is not improving his cash flow as he is still paying you- he is just safe guarding future profit.

If he pays you nothing it is really taking the piss- you are taking the hit for his business not functioning properly.

Xerxses works in sweden, these boys know the meaning of hard conditions, imagine digging out the trucks each day from snow fall that is so deep you cant see the roof of the trucks!

I have done two trees the last two days that really should not have been climbed in such wet conditions, I hated every slippery poor anchor moment, but Ive had 6 days off due to snow and its time to make up for the losses the firm sustained.

sounds to me like your boss cant be asked or has given up, maybe his business is failing and his eyes have glazed over. remind him why he started the firm and tell him to pull his socks up, if its raining and he dont want to work get off your butts and leaflet an area!

Just to add my tupence... Im employed but I Think employment SHOULD mean constant work if you can make i,you dont buy your own PPE, you dont buy your own climbing kit. we ( as in small firms employees) shoul getpaid I made it into work everday but 2 days during our snowey weather and what thanks did I get? Nout nothing! Ive said a few times my colleges that if he would just ask us employyess to take a day off unpaid we would all do it.

WE care about our firm and when w ae on he proccesor we see no reason to be. hes losin monney we are extremley frustrated so who wins?

You sound like a good employee to have, but your thanks for turning up is in your wage packet every week:001_smile:

Xerxses works in sweden, these boys know the meaning of hard conditions, imagine digging out the trucks each day from snow fall that is so deep you cant see the roof of the trucks!

:lol:

That sounds like a comment from Axemen!

It's not THAT bad, but sure, we DO have a lot of snow at the moment, another 12 cm came down last night/yesterday... so its knee deep and more in some places due to drifting snow. No pruning at the moment due to snow on every branchcollar, sweeping snow before final cut would make your hands wet and very cold. To be honest, I prefer snow to rain any day! Rain makes trees very slippery and potentially dangerous working in them .

I used to work for a company years ago, a Landscaping company (hard to do during winter, most companies only employ staff in the spring and lay off in autumn) whos buisnessplan was to make money during season and break even during winter, this allowed him to employ skilled and keen staff that worked really well together (as oposed to getting new people in every year) He would find virtually ANY work to get through winter...two guys spent a winter doing inventory, cleaning and a few bits and bobs in a big construction market, some of us were doing treework (which was a sidething for him) In my opinion an employer who take on employees is responsible for getting work in! If you cant there something wrong in the buisnessplan, and there's a need to diversify or develop the buisness.

In a sound company EVERYONE is responsible for the companys development. Where I'm working theres even a rewardsystem for ideas that is beneficial to the company. Bonus for money saved goes back into the team and can be used for travelling or such. One team in another department is travelling to Barcelona in a few weeks time, at the expence of the company!

If youre not happy maybe it's time to move on?

Some good advice here...

Listen to them and talk to your boss, if he doesent take in your opinions, I would move on.

Why not offer to go leafleting for him on bad days, he will see your even keener to get through the tougher times etc. If my guys offered to do that I would gladly pay them.

Good on ya! Sounds like youre a good employer!

Involving your guys in job hunting and thus making them responible for the company is good and very sound in my opinion. After all, if theres plenty of work and good money coming in, there's always a chance for a raise in pay!:sneaky2: