Control of pendulous sedge ( Carex pendula )

Afternoon, new member here although have been a longtime follower.

I manage 40 acres of woodland in West Sussex and I'm currently looking at starting to control non-native or invasive plant species with a view to improving the general condition of the woodland. There are three plant species I want to target, Rhododendron, bamboo and pendulous sedge ( Carex pendula ).   There is plenty of information regarding Rhododendron control but I'm struggling to find anything with regard to large scale control of the sedge.  This is very wet ground, bottom of a river valley, however even in higher, drier areas the sedge has become highly invasive smothering native plants and making natural regeneration of trees very difficult.

Has anyone got any experience of this issue or any other words of wisdom?

Good morning. I think it is a native, but obviously it's thriving at the expense of less prolific species.

Spot spraying with glyphosate might help. 

Could you get a farmer type to fence in some pigs or wild boar and see if they grub it out. Fence off small areas at a time. 

Thanks for the suggestions, sorry I've been a bit lax on replying, been fully occupied at the moment.

Doobin, we're just outside Ardingly.  Have got a digger on site so could give that a go thanks.

Rich, yes it's a native but for some reason it has just taken off over these last 10-15 years.  Always fancied having a few pigs in the woods but I've probably got enough on my plate to cope with that as well!  Farmer types around here don't seem to do livestock, they drive Range Rovers and multimillion harvesters!

• Like 1

If you decide to get pigs in the future, I’d recommend Oakland Pigs not too far away as a source of piglets and knowledge. They used to run courses and they maintain an excellent book with everything you could possibly want to know starting out keeping pigs.

I had them three times so far clearing ground over winters. Great fun and super effective. Message if you want more info - I’m just down the road in Cuckfield.

OAKLANDSPIGS.CO.UK

Oaklands pigs one day pig keeping course - why not buy a Christmas gift voucher - expert training, practical...

• Like 1