Timberwolf 230 not starting

jameshs22

Hi guys, went to look at a chipper the other day. It's 2018, tidy body work, only 350ish hours and looked like it would be a good purchase. Took some 6" logs to give it a good run and seemed to chip fine (the battery was dead and had to jump it). Went to restart it to check running from hot and nothing when key is turned, but you can hear the fuel pump (?) Ticking away) 

I walked away from the sale and the chap said he would get someone to have a look at it and get back in touch when fixed. Is it a case of the battery being flat?? Or something else? When not attached to jump leads nothing would happen at all (no heater plug light, fuel pump ect)  The chipper is really tidy and local to me so would be great if it wasn't a serious problem but I would have thought it would start all the time when attached to a jump pack??? 

Start simples, battery pack should start it if has no electrical gremlins other than a flat battery.

Next check would be ignition switch personally, especially if it's been left outdoor for any length of time and like a drowned rat. And obviously oil level.

Obviously if you know what you're doing, offer peanuts but for a 5 year old machine with 350 hours does fill me with equal measure of oh that's a bargain & it's a solvable bag of spanners.

Edited by GarethM

The limit switch on the panel you remove to get at blades/flywheel might be stuck or corroded.

my starter sticks occasionally (always has) a few taps it always starts.

if battery is coming to end of life , maybe down in voltage slightly.

If hours are genuine and flywheel etc are ok it could still be a good buy,  a new battery, maybe a service by a TW technician and a limit switch or two shouldn’t break the bank.

They are a very good chipper and the electrics are relatively simple.

First check with any used chipper is a check with the serial number to see the history, is it stolen? Surely, unless you are selling a shed, it will start, run and chip? Anyone with any respect or hope of selling it would get to work?....

• Like 2

Serial numbers are all intact and the chap seems genuine so no alarm bells at the moment.

He said the machine has been sat around for a few months without use (it did have a thin layer of dust when I first turned up) so has me thinking it's something fairly simple to fix