One man log splitting service

Donnie

20 hours ago, Mark Bolam said:

My mate has this 10 tonne Oxdale which we’ve shoved up a few gardens.

The ram stroke is way faster than my ageing cheapo 7 tonne petrol splitter.

Twice the price, obviously.

WWW.IRONANDEARTH.CO.UK

£2080 + VAT

Wouldn't mind doing firewood on the side and scaling it up from just a saw and petrol splitter. 

It is hard to find any area to do it in that isn't going to cost an arm and a leg in rent as it'd be more of a night time/weekend thing. 

Only other space I have is a 6x3 garage which is easy to fill 😂

2 minutes ago, JDon said:

Wouldn't mind doing firewood on the side and scaling it up from just a saw and petrol splitter. 

It is hard to find any area to do it in that isn't going to cost an arm and a leg in rent as it'd be more of a night time/weekend thing. 

Only other space I have is a 6x3 garage which is easy to fill 😂

I know where you are coming from bud but the margins are thin . The only way to make money is to be as efficient as possible . Processor lifting machinates etc etc . I know you are getting the wood for free but you might find the time you spend cutting and splitting you could earn more using that time felling .  

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Mark Bolam said:

Do you know any farmers Jake?

You might be able to trade some yard space for doing logs for the farm.

I will certainly ask around. It'd be handy. Aslong as I could drive my van into it and move stuff around I'd make it work. Yes not efficiently but got to start somewhere. Always post on here my ideas but firewood has been mainly number one. Would love to see how far I could take it until it could become full time when I get tired of cutting in the woods. 

@Stubby

I can get hardwood lengths oversize and processor size for around 90 a tonne delivered. I'm unsure as how much that would amount to when split into ibc crates. 

As for the felling thing, I'm on a day rate for 8 hours and no one really cuts in the woods on weekends etc. Believe me I've tried. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JDon said:

I will certainly ask around. It'd be handy. Aslong as I could drive my van into it and move stuff around I'd make it work. Yes not efficiently but got to start somewhere. Always post on here my ideas but firewood has been mainly number one. Would love to see how far I could take it until it could become full time when I get tired of cutting in the woods. 

@Stubby

I can get hardwood lengths oversize and processor size for around 90 a tonne delivered. I'm unsure as how much that would amount to when split into ibc crates. 

As for the felling thing, I'm on a day rate for 8 hours and no one really cuts in the woods on weekends etc. Believe me I've tried. 

Ok J . The fact you godda pay for the wood makes it even less attractive in my book . If you were splitting and processing for your own use then maybe but .......

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Stubby said:

Ok J . The fact you godda pay for the wood makes it even less attractive in my book . If you were splitting and processing for your own use then maybe but .......

Aye hardwood I'd need to pay for as we only really cut soft wood, all hardwoods are normally left on our sites or cut for firewood/sold onto firewood fellas. 

2 minutes ago, JDon said:

Aye hardwood I'd need to pay for as we only really cut soft wood, all hardwoods are normally left on our sites or cut for firewood/sold onto firewood fellas. 

Knock yer self out J 👍 . I wish you luck my friend .

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, JDon said:

@Stubby

That kicks the arse out of it a bit, you’ll probably get 2 bags out of a tonne, but that’s £45/bag before you cut, split, season and deliver.

Can you not just do softwood?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Mark Bolam said:

That kicks the arse out of it a bit, you’ll probably get 2 bags out of a tonne, but that’s £45/bag before you cut, split, season and deliver.

Can you not just do softwood?

Aye which realistically you will get about 80-90 delivered for them?

I could but not sure if many people would buy it. Everyone seems to be snobby only burning hardwood. Won't be long before there's nothing else to burn but softwood. 

Could get it for free taking scraps from forests I work in, until my boss finds a problem with me selling it 😂

Edited by JDon
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1