Post Covid

Excels1or

11 minutes ago, tenner said:

Okey dokey, well, as long as you're alright I guess it's just supply and demand, nothing to worry about. Profiteering off the most basic of human needs isn't just OK but should be encouraged as entrepreneurship in pursuit of the infinite growth our economy demands. What could possibly go wrong.

Honestly I hope it doesn't spread to your areas and the rest of the country. But really Cornwall's the canary down the coal mine and (making some educated guesses about this forum's posters) you're lucky to be relatively old and well-off. 

Can I ask how old you are?

• Haha 1

On 20/09/2023 at 20:42, rapalaman said:

I strive to provide decent accommodation, carry out all repairs promptly and don’t put the rents up by extortionate amounts.

I’ve had tenants who have wrecked places, stopped paying their rent, installed a cannabis farm, had asbos against them etc.

Thankfully most are decent people who look after the properties at least to a fair degree. 

And I bet you've made a ton of money out of it. So that's a world's smallest violin situation. Whinging about the hard life of a UK landlord while the poors are giving food banks a workout. You could always sell up and be completely free of serf related issues.

I'm sorry for how it might come across, it's not personal.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tenner said:

And I bet you've made a ton of money out of it. So that's a world's smallest violin situation. Whinging about the hard life of a UK landlord while the poors are giving food banks a workout. You could always sell up and be completely free of serf related issues.

I'm sorry for how it might come across, it's not personal.

Really? and if there are no private landlords who is going to house those who can't afford to buy or don't want to? Councils haven't got anything. I've had people in tears because they are within weeks of being homeless and yes we did house them. We've reduced rents when tenants have been having problems, fed pets and cleaned houses when they've been rushed into hospital to mention just a few things. Have you heard of capital gains tax? Yes the government does have a lot of any increase in value. We're not all money grabbers, some of us actually care believe it or not.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, tenner said:

Okey dokey, well, as long as you're alright I guess it's just supply and demand, nothing to worry about. Profiteering off the most basic of human needs isn't just OK but should be encouraged as entrepreneurship in pursuit of the infinite growth our economy demands. What could possibly go wrong.

Honestly I hope it doesn't spread to your areas and the rest of the country. But really Cornwall's the canary down the coal mine and (making some educated guesses about this forum's posters) you're lucky to be relatively old and well-off. 

Yeah because tree surgery=pop star wages. Correct about old though

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 22/09/2023 at 21:50, petercb said:

Really? and if there are no private landlords who is going to house those who can't afford to buy or don't want to? Councils haven't got anything. I've had people in tears because they are within weeks of being homeless and yes we did house them. We've reduced rents when tenants have been having problems, fed pets and cleaned houses when they've been rushed into hospital to mention just a few things. Have you heard of capital gains tax? Yes the government does have a lot of any increase in value. We're not all money grabbers, some of us actually care believe it or not.

You've misunderstood. I am an enjoyer of private property. I don't like rent-induced poverty or homelessness. My take is that the current system has long failed and most landlords are necessarily arseholes for exploiting that system. Same with drugs and drug dealers. 

Agrarian Justice is where I'm at if you care: we should have our private property but not at the expense of others fundamental wellbeing or "natural" rights. 

Paine viewed private property as necessary while at the same time asserting that the basic needs of all humanity must be provided for by those with property, who have originally taken it from the general public. In some sense, that is their "payment" to non-property holders for the right to hold private property.

Housing people in tears who are about to be homeless - good

Reducing rents on tenants who are in dire straits - good

Paying your taxes - good

Actually caring - good

Point is, none of these things should be remarkable. These should all be basic human decency taken for granted. The whole system must be utterly broken if we have landlords saying they actually care about people as if it were a novel concept. 

• Like 4

14 hours ago, tenner said:

if we have landlords saying they actually care about people as if it were a novel concept. 

Some landlords don't care, some tenants don't care. We care, that's it, nothing special about it, it's just what we do. If more people cared the world would be a better place.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, tenner said:

Sorry about that

Your anger is directed at the wrong people. Renting has become what it has become because of the government. Being a landlord at the moment is pretty crap, and is no longer a decent investment (commercial is the only way to get decent returns IMO). So you will see a sharp drop off of landlords and guess what will happen to rents..... they will go up. 

You should be screaming at the lack of production of council houses, rather than aiming it at landlords. 

To think, even on a basic level, if we scrapped HS2 when I wanted to at the beginning and spent the 100 billion on producing houses for those who will never get employment, so we can chose an area where land is cheaper, but say within 50 miles of family origin (might caveat this with excluding disabled, as likely need local family support) 

Rough numbers;

2-3 bed house, construction costs plus land costs per unit (bare in mind the economies of scale) of say £150k. 

With a 100 bil budget (which will still have the same effect as an infrastructure project like HS2 on stimulating the economy) we could produce around 666,000 houses. For sure won't fix the issue, but it certainly would make a reasonable dent. 

I would like council housing to be available for all, should people wish it, but I feel it would be a good idea to move those who will never work, into new homes away from areas where current rents are super high in commuter towns/London so that those who do work, but need support, get it and can be local to work. 

You will be surprised at the shear amount of HA/council housing provided in deep London areas for people who will NEVER work. 

• Like 1