How do I one hand this splitter?

AHPP

Efficiency aside, i just hope you have a lot of cash put away for when your insurance refuses to pay out....if another operator is involved and you have an HSE court case to answer...or you have to support yourself should it happen to you with no means of income due to injury.

Not what you want to hear, but thats the reality of what is being suggested here. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, pleasant said:

Efficiency aside, i just hope you have a lot of cash put away for when your insurance refuses to pay out....if another operator is involved and you have an HSE court case to answer...or you have to support yourself should it happen to you with no means of income due to injury.

Not what you want to hear, but thats the reality of what is being suggested here. 

Disability allowance. No need for personal insurance, that's what we pay NI for.

If you're putting an employee to work the modified machine, have the "conversation" with him/her before starting. If he/she is any good, he/she will refuse to use the machine in factory mode anyway, for the simple reason it's unfeasible and unsafe, as explained above. If he/she is totally clueless and wants to use the machine with the factory safety features, then he/she is not the kind of person you'd trust to safely run machinery in the first place.

You make the mod reversible so you can quickly restore it to factory spec in the (extremely unlikely) case they injure themselves. Hence the "conversation", so you both agree on the risks and the story.

If someone asked me to use a splitter with default two handed operation I'd tell them no. It's dangerous, unproductive, irresponsible. Give me a machine fit for purpose or split the damn wood yourself.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, AHPP said:

Firstly, one hand is safer as well as more efficient.

Secondly, I didn’t ask for legal advice from trade counter gimps. I want mechanical advice from men who get it.  

'Trade counter gimps'

You have a way with words dont you? And if only you knew.

My post wasnt just for your benefit but for anyone else considering overriding legal safety operational devices which (whether you like it or not) renders the machine unsafe to use and invalidates any liability insurance to the operative and the public. Those are the facts....irrelevant as to whether in your opinion it may well be it makes the machine safer to use.

In a hSe court your opinion would be irrelevant.

I have seen it with my own eyes, young employees being asked or even told to use chainsaw with inoperative chainbrakes and the opc safety cut out levers on mowers tied up so the engine stays running when you empty the grassbox because the engine is a pig to restart.

I have acted as an expert witness in both instances. 

My advice was to help other consider the consequences of what you were suggesting...not yourself, who would appears to know best. Hope that clarifies things for you 

• Like 5

I've split hundreds of tonnes of rings with one of these splitters , slightly older model but basically the same . For the awkward,slanty, knotty bits I just have a short length of knotted bungee tied to the left handle . I use that to pull the handle down whilst holding the log . Sounds fiddly but in practice works fine and requires no ,modifications to the machine . Generally though I use it 2 handed as I quite like my hands and fingers attached to my body.

• Like 1