Best engine size and bar length for all round use

Elliott.F

19 hours ago, Brushcutter said:

If I was to pick one id just have a 50cc.saw with bars from 13 15 and 18 inch  bars. If I could take two I'd have a 70cc with and 18 and 24 inch bars.

That sounds ideal. A 50cc and a 70cc

power head and a range of bars for different jobs. 

7 hours ago, Blackbriarwoods said:

Can you remember when you had your first saw, telling yourself that you were sorted now. Then you looked in the catalogues or visited the local dealer....

Our first saw was a massive Jonsereds, with no chain brake and a 20 or 22" bar. The compression on it was insane, starting procedure was to throw it away from you, and then pull the rope! H&S wasn't our main priority in those days, we were young and foolish. We asked the dealer for a saw that would cut anything we came across, and he was happy to sell us one! 

To attempt to answer the question, I'd say you need two saws minimum for any serious work. When I used the Stihl 038, it wasn't the first one I picked up, it was the 251 with a 13" bar. Now I have a 400, although it's so much lighter, I still pick up the 261 with a 14" bar first, unless of course the job dictates it.   

Edited by Peter 1955
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, Blackbriarwoods said:

Can you remember when you had your first saw, telling yourself that you were sorted now. Then you looked in the catalogues or visited the local dealer....

Yup, in fact every few saws I think that's it I'm sorted, and then it happens again...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...
On 07/08/2023 at 14:15, lurch_918 said:

I myself am in no way a professional faller but if i have a job come in i only have the choice  of my 2 a 560xp running a 20" bar .325  and my little efco 3700 running a 16" bar and 3/8 chain . the 560 is used as my main and the 3700 is there as a back up for if i get the bar pinched or to do a bit of liming and let the 560 have a cuppa tea and a sandwich break. 

I have still a couple of brand new EFCO 3700 16" Bar 3/8 Chain. If interested, let me know!

-oldpartsinasia Joe