Timberwolf chipper engine cuts out - advice on how to troubleshoot?

Cordata

I have a timberwolf 160PH chipper, and on a job the other day the engine cut out.

When I switched it back on, it was kind of 'barely' running, like the engine wanted to cut out and didn't quite have the guts to keep going.

There's a clear bulb thing going into the engine which the manual says is the fuel filter - before this issue started happening, I could see the bulb was always pretty full of fuel, and now it's very low down, like there isn't much fuel getting to the engine.

When it first cut out I was up a tree and the subcontractor I was working with who is pretty inexperienced at using machines (like knowing to put the choke on when an engine is cold to get it going etc) was struggling to start it, I think they had the key turned for ages and I could hear the starter motor going for a pretty long time without the chipper starting.. Is this a potential reason for depleting the fuel in the system somehow?

Just racking my brains as to what it might be, advice on troubleshooting this would be appreciated

Circled in yellow the fuel filter which seems to be low, and also a photo of what it looks like.

I guess it's transparent so you can visually tell when it's clogged up and needs changed, but it's a pretty new machine, I don't think it's clogged up..

chipperP1.png

chipperP2.png

3 minutes ago, Cordata said:

Circled in yellow the fuel filter which seems to be low, and also a photo of what it looks like.

I guess it's transparent so you can visually tell when it's clogged up and needs changed, but it's a pretty new machine, I don't think it's clogged up..

chipperP1.png

chipperP2.png

thats just a common in line filter just put a new one on, but before you put the fuel line on the in feed side check that there is a good flow of fuel,, if not check fuel tap on tank as it could be partly blocked,,

38 minutes ago, spuddog0507 said:

thats just a common in line filter just put a new one on, but before you put the fuel line on the in feed side check that there is a good flow of fuel,, if not check fuel tap on tank as it could be partly blocked,,

To be honest I don't really know what I'm doing,

Check fuel tap on tank, checking for a good flow of fuel - how would I do that?

Also you said it looks like there might be water in the bulb, that doesn't sound good.. what reason makes you think that?

40 minutes ago, Will C said:

Does it have a electric lift pump in or close to the tank? If so this may have a filter built into it. 

I looked as best I can following the fuel line, and it doesn't seem like there is a pump feeding fuel in from the tank, I think the engine does all the pumping

The only thing I can see between the fuel tank and the engine when following the fuel line, is the transparent bulb filter in the pictures

That's basically the same engine as my chipper, also have an inline filter like that which always has a bubble in it. Fuel is sucked in by a pump under the air filter that's driven by a vacuum impulse line.

It is true that if the pipe gets completely empty it can struggle to suck in to get started, but once it's running I've never had a problem with it getting enough fuel.

Make sure the fuel tank is nice and full, that means less suction needed. My first check would be air filter though, you haven't mentioned checking that. Check the oil level, if it's low will kill the ignition. Also change the plugs, couple of quid to eliminate that possible problem.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Cordata said:

To be honest I don't really know what I'm doing,

Check fuel tap on tank, checking for a good flow of fuel - how would I do that?

Also you said it looks like there might be water in the bulb, that doesn't sound good.. what reason makes you think that?

Is there not a fuel cut off tap/leaver on the tank ? if not just rem=new the inline filter, 

all fuel contains a percentage of water and on hot days it seperates and builds up in the fuel tank, i just had a dumper pack up and the fuel filter was full of water, emptied it out and off we go again,,